What's new

Best AC1200+ router that can run DD-WRT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nerva

Occasional Visitor
I've had terrible luck with the two AC routers I've tried and I'm really trying to do my homework and buy one that actually works reliably and has the option of running DD-WRT on it.

First was a TrendNET TEW-812DRU (v1) AC1750 that had problems connecting or staying connected to many of the varied wifi devices in my house. Setting up QoS (my home server uploads a lot of low-priority traffic for online backup etc) helped with some Netflix/Hulu/YouTube streaming problems but not the fundamental connection problems. The final straw was when my HDHomeRun's would disappear from the LAN and reappear if I reset the router. Pretty much every problem (except for one TV that never ever connected) improved if I reset the router... over and over...

Second was an Edimax BR-6478AC AC1200. This one has displayed different connection problems than the first one -- some of the devices that worked well with the TrendNET now have problems, while other devices work better. Unfortunately the QoS on the Edimax is quite limited compared to the TrendNET and the video streaming problems are back. It also periodically decides the internet is unavailable -- rebooting the router works better than rebooting the cablemodem. Again, in general, resetting the router often clears a particular problem up.

I'll mention, both routers were updated to their latest firmwares.

So after some research I figured that DD-WRT might fix the problems -- unfortunately as it happens, neither router is supported by DD-WRT (the TEW-812DRU v2 is supported but not the v1 I have).

So, I am looking for a router that can do at least AC1200, is extremely robust and reliable, and that is supported by DD-WRT. I assume DD-WRT has excellent QoS features.

Some additional info:

We have three USB adapters using the Realtek RTL8812AU (AC1200) chipset with dual antennas that I would like to run in 802.11ac 5GHz mode to achieve near-LAN performance with our three Windows desktop PC's.

The other devices are on the 2.4GHz band. We have a laptop and three tablets from different manufacturers with 2.4GHz 802.11n. We have five Samsung phones, most of which are 2.4+5GHz 802.11n. We have four TV's from Panasonic, LG, and Visio, most of which can do 2.4+5GHz 802.11n.

The router is connected to a cable modem, a TV, a Sonos base station, a VoIP bridge, and an 8-port gigabit switch. The 8-port switch is in turn connected to four HDHomeRun's and a home server PC. The idea is I can separately take down either the router/internet or the HDHomeruns/server without affecting the other.

Hi Nerva,

DD-WRT can be a nice option, but depending upon the hardware and what you're looking to accomplish, there can often be a great deal of trial-and-error in finding a build version that works smoothly and reliably. Take it from one who's tinkered with it on and off since 2006...

As to the hardware itself, have you ever considered splitting up the responsibilities? ie. a dedicated wired router (or wireless router with wifi turned off) to do your core routing, DHCP, NAT, firewall, etc., wired to a purpose-built access point or all-in-one set as an access point? I find this approach often yields better overall performance, easier troubleshooting, and if you have to swap/upgrade your wifi, you're not scrapping your entire routing config in the process.

But if you're still set on an AC1200 all-in-one, perhaps a TP-Link Archer C5? Seems to review decently on Amazon, and it's a fairly decent value at $90.

Best of luck.

I think that the Asus RT-AC66U is still a good choice for a wireless-1750AC router with external antennas. I'm not clear on your budget from your posting, but the Asus is supported by RMerlin firmware, dd-wrt, and tomato. Not to mention the stock firmware *smile*.

You might look at some reviews here on this site, a lot of wireless-AC routers have been reviewed and there are rankings and facts and figures from Mr. Higgins personal testing.

The rt-ac56u and netgear r6250 are both supported by dd-wrt and also work well and have a dual core arm cpu.
The r6250 has one core disabled on oem but dd-wrt has them both running, also as Roger said the rt-ac66 is a good choice.
I've had all of these accept the rt-ac56.

I just sold an r6250 on eBay for $45, so you can get one at a good price.
I am receiving another one early next week. Pm me if interested.

Any recommendations if I go with separate access point and wired router? I have constant problems using my computer, I have kids asking why their YouTube and Minecraft are stopped. I couldn't care less about price at this point -- it just NEEDS TO frackING WORK FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR AT A TIME!!

I use two Asus RT-AC66Us, one as a router, the other in "repeater" mode. Works flawlessly. Never lags, stutters, or drops connections. I don't game much, so I can't speak to that, but for streaming blu-rays, HD content, file transfers, other media, it's a great set up. Of course it doesn't hurt that I've got a fast ISP connection too (300mbps down). But as RogerSC noted, the AC66U's are really an excellent product and you can find them anywhere from $130 or so for refurbished ones to around $159 for new ones. Highly recommended, whether you're using official firmware or Merlin's (and yes they support DDWRT and Tomato but I've never found any reason to use anything other than official ASUSWRT or Merlin's).

I have the rt-ac68p. When I put dd-wrt on it I used the firmware for the rt-ac68u.
It under locks the cpu to 800mhz. Any attempt to set it to the default 1ghz soft bricks it.
There is no build specific to it. I raised the issue on the dd-wrt forum over a week ago and not one peep from the devs.
So if you want dd-wrt and want to use the full potential of the router use the r7000.
I had one of those also and it works fine on dd-wrt.

AC2600 has better, more efficient and universal features. Model 2600 provides fast speed connections between drives and, according to specifications, has higher performance and speed connections. However, you will have to pay more to get added performance. If money is not a problem, then 2600 will be my choice. He is superior to most requirements / standards of domestic use. These high-quality routers / modems are typically used for small business applications.

List of best DD-WRT: https://www.vpnranks.com/best-dd-wrt-router

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!