What's new

Best / easiest way to block gaming servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amd7674

Regular Contributor
I hope everyone is healthy and safe. As a parent I’m going through tough times :-(, school is not giving enough homework and all sports activities are all gone :-(. I’m blessed and I’m working from home with. During COVID-19 current crazy times ; my kids got really addicted to pc games and we are having really hard time to controlling them. Instead of being outside and playing road hockey, throw football, baseball or shoot some hoops ; all they want is to are seat at home and play video games. Is there an easy way to block their gaming servers (ie Minecraft)? Both their PCs are hardwired with assigned IPs. I’m currently using 1900p router with latest Merlins firmware. If not Asus router is there a mesh or some device that my wife or I can control our kids Wi-Fi/wired activities?

PLEASE HELP!

There's AiProtection > Parental Controls where you can block Streaming and Entertainment > Games. I don't know how effective that is because I've never used it.

I hope everyone is healthy and safe. As a parent I’m going through tough times :-(, school is not giving enough homework and all sports activities are all gone :-(. I’m blessed and I’m working from home with. During COVID-19 current crazy times ; my kids got really addicted to pc games and we are having really hard time to controlling them. Instead of being outside and playing road hockey, throw football, baseball or shoot some hoops ; all they want is to are seat at home and play video games. Is there an easy way to block their gaming servers (ie Minecraft)? Both their PCs are hardwired with assigned IPs. I’m currently using 1900p router with latest Merlins firmware. If not Asus router is there a mesh or some device that my wife or I can control our kids Wi-Fi/wired activities?

PLEASE HELP!

1. could use the skynet firewall by Adamm to block them out (ip blacklist)

2. or just block wifi access to any of their devices in a wifi schedule

3. or dns filter their devices to (nextdns) as you can then block
categories e.g. gaming i believe

note: only go this route if you're confident and know what you're doing so they can't get around it and circumvent things, admin passwords on devices to block access to settings, disable dhcp and assign static ip via router and on devices themselves....YES! they will hate you for short time :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!