What's new

Entware Best file system and settings for running qBittorrent on an SSD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Limpi

Occasional Visitor
Hey!
I have an Asus RT-AX86U running Merlin v388.1 and I connected two SSDs to it's USB 3.0 ports:
1.) Patriot Burst Elite 1.92TB (this one is just for storing and streaming movie / TV series contents – this has NTSF file system, because I want to connect it sometimes to PC)
2.) Patriot Burst 480GB (this has DRAM cache and I plan to run qBittorrent on it for longer times, so not just for hours, but sometime for days)

I formatted 2.) with amtm to EXT4 with journaling (those were the recommended settings).
Is that bad? Should I reformat it to EXT2 without journaling (that was recommended here: link)?

I installed qBittorrent v4.4.5 to 2.) and use it with the default Connection Limit values:
  • Global maximum number of connections: 500
  • Maximum number of connection per torrent: 100
  • Global maximum number of upload slots: 20
  • Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 4
Is that OK or should I decrease those values somewhat?

I also enabled later the following non-default additional limitations:
  • Global upload speed limit: 150 KiB/s
  • Torrent queuing enabled (max. active download: 1; max. active uploads: 5; max. active torrents: 6)
  • Upload rate limit at each torrent: 40 KiB/s
(But I think those were not really needed if he global Connection Limit values would be set properly.)

I start it through SSH command line with the qBittorrent-nox --daemon command.
And stop it with the File\Exit qBittorrent command through it's web UI.

This way qBittorrent runs nicely, but only just for several hours! Then I get a bounch of
Dec 18 14:33:34 kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0: ERROR Transfer event for disabled endpoint or incorrect stream ring
Dec 18 14:33:34 kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0: @000000002f08adf0 00000000 00000000 1b000000 02078001

errors in the router's general log for 10-20 seconds and during that time all four CPU cores are running at 100% (nevertheless fortunately network traffic seems to still run undisturbed during this time)... :(

First I thought it was an USB 3.0 cable problem (I used an 1 meter long USB 3.0 extension cable), so I plugged in the SSD directly to the router's USB 3.0 port (with an ATC AC1510 SATA III to USB 3.0 adapter which has only 15 cm long cable), but the problem was not gone...
Then I thought maybe it is an insufficient power supply problem (the router's power supply has this parameters: 19.5V, 2.31A, 45.0W MAX.), so I tried to use an Axagon HUE-S2BP active USB 3.0 hub, but unfortunately that has an 1,2 m long cable and the 1.) SSD (in an Axagon EE25-XA6 2.5" rack with 63cm cable) was not working well with it (it began to produce the same transfer event errors even if I just copied files to it).

So can I make this work somehow to run stable for a longer time? :)

Is there a guide how to properly install and configure qBittorrent under Asuswrt-Merlin's entware?

Can the RT-AX86U hande safely two SSDs (each one for both of it's two USB 3.0 ports) or is it's power supply not really enough for that?

(I do not want to write to both SSDs simultaneously, but sometimes I would like to copy data from 2.) to 1.)...)

Can the RT-AX86U run qBittorrent stabe for a longer time (for days and not just for hours)?

(Sorry about the many questions but I am really confused. J-)

Last edited:
By the way here is a great article:
https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-router-nas-solutions/

I choose RT-AX86U in large part because of it, they measured
112.56 MB/s read and
110.40 MB/s write
NAS performance.
I can confirm the read speed. (My SSDs are not fast enough for a longer time to confirm the write speed.)
But of course they tested it only with one SSD, not two. And they didn't test qBittorrent performance. :)

So all my questions above are still valid.
Please answer them if you can!

Hey!
I have an Asus RT-AX86U running Merlin v388.1 and I connected two SSDs to it's USB 3.0 ports:
1.) Patriot Burst Elite 1.92TB (this one is just for storing and streaming movie / TV series con....
Hi,

I have:
combo1:
TUF AX54000
Firmware: 388.1_0-gnuton1_tuf
SSD Patriot P210 512GB
AXAGON EE25-XA6 ALINE
Result: same as u described

combo2:
TUF AX54000
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
AXAGON EE25-XA6 ALINE
Result: same as u described

combo3:
TUF AX54000
SSD Patriot P210 512GB
Gembird E2-U3S-6 USB3.1 Enclosure Aluminium with USB Type-C Black
Result: NO PROBLEM!

Seems Axagon has some issue with the asus router since using USB 3.0 with windows computer had no probs of reading/writing.
It could be some chip compatibility in the rack or something, dont know but now it works great.
I ve got the latest merlin installed but I dont think it matters.

As far as torrent am using Transmission seems ok.
all info regarding entware and stuff here:

Hope this helps I know how annoying this could be.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for this info!
I will try this rack (I could order a Gembird E2-U3S-6-GR which is the gray version of it, but in theory it has the same JMS578 controller chip).

I am still somewhat struggling with this problem.
I tried several USB 3.0 cables and then putting an active USB 3.0 hub (Natec Mantis 2) before each SSD (to ensure it is not a power deficiency problem).
I also lowered the "Physical memory (RAM) usage limit" setting in qBittorrent from the default 512 MiB to 256 MiB.
Currently, qBittorrent runs stable for unlimited time, if it must only seed torrents.
But writing to the EXT2 disk is still risky, because the "ERROR Transfer event for disabled endpoint or incorrect stream ring" returns when I try to write larger files. It appears around after 9-10GB of write.

Currently I am using an ACT AC1510 adapter. I don't know which controller chip it has, but the problem is same as with AXAGON EE25-XA6 (which has a ASM1153 chip as far as I know).

I hope using the Gembird rack with JMS578 chip will finally solve this problem...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!