What's new

Best operation mode for AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fcoayuso

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I plan to install one of my Asus router at my parents home. They have fibre connection via router with an integrated PON and telephone line. After some research, there is no way to use the telephone line without the provided router. The router's WIFI coverage is rubbish, so I want to use my AX88U to replace the existing WiFi signal.

What would be the best operation mode to install the AX88U with latest version of merlin? I am interested to enable the VPN server in the router too. Ideally I would like to control everything from the Asus router, but not sure if this is possible. Maybe with DMZ? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Maybe wirh DMZ?

Yes, Asus in Router Mode in double NAT with WAN IP in carrier's router DMZ and all devices connected to the Asus router. It will work properly. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin for your VPN server needs - it's available in stock Asuswrt. DDNS also works in stock Asuswrt with external WAN IP detection.

Last edited:
Yes, Asus in Router Mode in double NAT with WAN IP in carrier's router DMZ and all devices connected to the Asus router. It will work properly. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin for your VPN server needs - it's available in stock Asuswrt. DDNS also works in stock Asuswrt with external WAN IP detection.
Thanks for the quick answer. It has already installed asus merlin, but thanks for the suggestion. On the other hand, what do I need to do in the carrier's router? I guess I only have to enable DMZ to the ip address of the Asus router and disconnect all devices from the old router. Also, disable WIFI, etc....
For the wan setting, do I have to select Ppoe, DHCP or static IP?

Thanks for your help!

Reserve an IP for your Asus router, place it in DMZ, disable Wi-Fi or use it for Guest or Backup on different channels, move all devices to the Asus router. My advice to you is avoid USB sticks and Custom Scripts at your parents house. Keep it simple. I would use stock Asuswrt instead with upstream malware filtering DNS server and AiProtection enabled. Good enough.

WAN - Automatic IP.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your suggestion guys. It is up and running now.

The only issue I've found is the VPN server being really slow in term of speed. My parent's fibre connection is 600mbps symmetric connection, but the vpn speed does not go over 4mbps for download and around 25mbps for upload. I am aware vpn slows down the speed by a lot, but I woud have expected at least 30-40mbps....:(

Anything I am doing wrong?
Thanks

RT-AX88U can do about 160-180Mbps on OpenVPN when running current 388 firmware. Check your configuration on both ends.

The speed of the VPN depends on both ISP's speeds (up and down).

RT-AX88U can do about 160-180Mbps on OpenVPN when running current 388 firmware. Check your configuration on both ends.
What should I check? There is no much special settings in vpns apart from generating the ovpn file and setting up the server....

What should I check?

You have to wait for someone else to reply because I don’t use Asus routers on my network and my test RT-AX86U router is currently off and out of my reach.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!