What's new

Best Option for Access Points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wthinavl

New Around Here
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and seeking advice [shocker].
We built a new home and I wired low volts for it. There are 3 cat6e runs, one to the Basement Office/LR, one to Main Floor LR, one to Upstairs Office.
I've been struggling with the best way to set them up. I have a non-wifi gigabit distribution router at the panel. I have 3 RT-AX58U at each access point configured as access points. I have a NAS and Eufy Homebase at the distribution location.
Most of the devices are stationary so I originally had the SSIDs setup as HomeBasement, HomeMainFloor, HomeUpstairs but I couldn't get the devices to mesh and mobile devices were not swapping out for best signal. I then switched all SSID to Home but still not able to mesh.

I'm starting to think I don't want them to mesh as there would be 1 primary and two repeaters and its probably better to set them all as their own primary having a wired connection. Just not feeling like I'm getting the best experience with mobile devices as they're not switching APs with nearest/strongest.

Any help is appreciated!

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and seeking advice [shocker].
We built a new home and I wired low volts for it. There are 3 cat6e runs, one to the Basement Office/LR, one to Main Floor LR, one to Upstairs Office.
I've been struggling with the best way to set them up. I have a non-wifi gigabit distribution router at the panel. I have 3 RT-AX58U at each access point configured as access points. I have a NAS and Eufy Homebase at the distribution location.
Most of the devices are stationary so I originally had the SSIDs setup as HomeBasement, HomeMainFloor, HomeUpstairs but I couldn't get the devices to mesh and mobile devices were not swapping out for best signal. I then switched all SSID to Home but still not able to mesh.

I'm starting to think I don't want them to mesh as there would be 1 primary and two repeaters and its probably better to set them all as their own primary having a wired connection. Just not feeling like I'm getting the best experience with mobile devices as they're not switching APs with nearest/strongest.

Any help is appreciated!
If you have an Asus router use that as an AiMesh "base" and the AX58U's as AiMesh nodes. Yes, you can use them as access points but the AiMesh will give you the came SSID across the entire network if you use Dual Band SmartConnect. Using AiMesh will also allow you to set up guest WIFI across all the nodes.

Ah, did not notice that you have a non wifi router. You can still set the AX58U's up in a mesh but maybe not the way you have your place wired.

See:https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043044/

If you have an Asus router use that as an AiMesh "base" and the AX58U's as AiMesh nodes. Yes, you can use them as access points but the AiMesh will give you the came SSID across the entire network if you use Dual Band SmartConnect. Using AiMesh will also allow you to set up guest WIFI across all the nodes.

Ah, did not notice that you have a non wifi router. You can still set the AX58U's up in a mesh but maybe not the way you have your place wired.

See:https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043044/
I think the issue here is that AIMesh still acts as a repeater with a primary taking the WAN and the meshed routers taking the primary signal via wireless and repeating it. I have a strong wired connection for all 3 pushing 600mbs so I'd rather not compromise the wireless signal to 200mbs by repeating the primary.

Super helpful! Thanks!

You limit all the answers to AP Mode and AiMesh with RT-AX58U routers. AP Mode with or without Smart Connect will work the same way as wired AiMesh. Your clients decide where to connect and your only tool available is Roaming Assistant in Wireless, Professional. It may or may not work. Controller based multi-AP systems work better and may not be much more expensive than your routers. It's too late to recommend you better options, I guess.

You limit all the answers to AP Mode and AiMesh with RT-AX58U routers. AP Mode with or without Smart Connect will work the same way as wired AiMesh. Your clients decide where to connect and your only tool available is Roaming Assistant in Wireless, Professional. It may or may not work. Controller based multi-AP systems work better and may not be much more expensive than your routers. It's too late to recommend you better options, I guess.
I'll take better options. These were used on ebay. I could trade them out.

Would something like this work? A lot of these "mesh systems" require one of the units to be primary and the others to be satellite but I'd really like to just use my non-wifi gigabit router to distribute to all 3. If you have a better option that has at least 3 ethernet ports per AP I'd like to hear it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PRB1MZM/?tag=snbforums-20

I would try one more time with your available AX58Us with the same separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs, but with different Tx power for 2.4GHz (lower) and 5GHz (maximum) bands and Roaming Assistant set to -60dBm. If you get sticky clients perhaps 3x APs are too much for your place. Remove one and try again. I found Roaming Assistant not working on some firmware versions - downgrade the firmware and try again. Find what works for you.

Home "mesh" systems are on a cheap side "easy button" solution. Asus AiMesh is something to tinker with, high maintenance. If you ask me, I'll spend more for Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada business solutions Wi-Fi system. You set the system once and call it a day. They are more reliable, the roaming is much better, the aggregate throughput is better, upgradeable, customizable, allow better LAN segmentation with native VLAN support.

You can use AIMesh with wired backhaul --- you have to select the "ethernet backhaul" option, and then it should do what you want.

Two wires needed to the main router location or replacement of current router with another Asus. Not sure @wthinavl can do or wants to do this.

Two wires needed to the main router location or replacement of current router with another Asus. Not sure @wthinavl can do or wants to do this.
Maybe I misread it, but I understood OP's initial post to say exactly that all these units had ethernet runs to the central router. If they're being run with wireless backhaul, that's just bad configuration.

I do agree with the previous point that RT-AX58Us are pretty expensive gear to be using as access points, and that they've got a much larger bug cross-section than something that doesn't do routing/filtering/parental controls/yadda yadda but only wireless broadcasting.

Maybe I misread it, but I understood OP's initial post to say exactly that all these units had ethernet runs to the central router. If they're being run with wireless backhaul, that's just bad configuration.

I do agree with the previous point that RT-AX58Us are pretty expensive gear to be using as access points, and that they've got a much larger bug cross-section than something that doesn't do routing/filtering/parental controls/yadda yadda but only wireless broadcasting.
The idea was to start with hard-wired connections to each office [basement and third floor] and the entertainment center in the family room. The wireless features are ancillary but nonetheless I'd like them to run optimally.

The distribution router is acting like switch at the panel in the basement.

I'm surprised this isn't easier. 3 access points that slave to the distribution router, each giving their own signal to that floor, meshing together to give the roaming devices their best available signal when in use.

to give the roaming devices their best available signal

Most mobile devices will hold the connection up to -80dBm and won't switch to another AP if not needed. If your routers provide strong enough signal to your devices they will just pick one and stay there. A few APs in random placed don't make a "mesh". Perhaps you have wrong expectations and too much Wi-Fi radios around your place. You don't need full bars signal for your devices to work properly. I know nothing about your house, but Wi-Fi needs planning. I'm using 4x APs in 6600sqft house in one place and 4x APs in 1200sqft house in another.

I'm surprised this isn't easier.

AIMesh is supposed to make it easy ... but it has enough (ever changing) bugs and deficiencies that you might find it not so easy. @Tech9 likes to sing the praises of SMB-oriented gear, and I can't argue with him. (FWIW: the last consumer-oriented wireless gear that performed reliably for me was Apple's late lamented Airport line; Netgear and ASUS have both failed miserably. I have been pretty happy with Zyxel and Ubiquiti gear, which I'd classify as at least borderline SMB, and not very much more expensive than the consumer gear.)

Also, as I see @Tech9 just alluded to, there is such a thing as too much wifi. Just because your place has three floors doesn't mean you need three APs, nor are more APs always better than fewer.

Most mobile devices will hold the connection up to -80dBm and won't switch to another AP if not needed. If your routers provide strong enough signal to your devices they will just pick one and stay there. A few APs in random placed don't make a "mesh". Perhaps you have wrong expectations and too much Wi-Fi radios around your place. You don't need full bars signal for your devices to work properly. I know nothing about your house, but Wi-Fi needs planning. I'm using 4x APs in 6600sqft house in one place and 4x APs in 1200sqft house in another.
3600 sq ft across 3 floors with a few security pieces outside.

I guess when I think about it, our only moving devices are our phones and an occasional laptop or tablet. Our offices and fixed media have plenty of bandwidth so I'll just stick with what I have for now. Practically, it functions better than any other home we've had. We just put a lot of thought into some smart home features that we'd like to get the most of. Again...mostly fixed locations so I guess it will be a set it and forget it proposition with them.

Thanks for the input. I may still end up with one of the products you mentioned anyway as I find it hard to resist new gadgetry.

The other question is "what are the interior walls made of?"

If the walls are sheetrock or other modern (thin) material, you might find that just one centrally-located AP is enough. I'd try just the one on your central floor for starters. Walk around with a phone and see if there are dead spots. If the coverage isn't acceptable, change to two APs as far from each other as conveniently possible (maybe your existing upper and lower-floor locations would do at this stage). If still coverage problems, at least you will be well informed where you really need to have the APs. But fewer is better, because they do interfere with each other. The sticky threads over in General Wireless Discussion are worth your reading time.

You can keep the number of APs, but play with Tx power. You may get better roaming with more APs on low power. The reason I use the same number APs in different houses is the materials used. The house in North America is more RF transparent built from matchsticks and drywall. The house in Europe is RF blocking built from bricks with reinforced concrete floor, ceiling and columns. The APs in NA work on max power and I usually have only 3x in operation, the 4th is more for outdoor coverage. The APs in EU work on reduced power and basically cover a room and some each. Different setups.

You can keep the number of APs, but play with Tx power. You may get better roaming with more APs on low power. The reason I use the same number APs in different houses is the materials used. The house in North America is more RF transparent built from matchsticks and drywall. The house in Europe is RF blocking built from bricks with reinforced concrete floor, ceiling and columns. The APs in NA work on max power and I usually have only 3x in operation, the 4th is more for outdoor coverage. The APs in EU work on reduced power and basically cover a room and some each. Different setups.
Honestly, probably going to end up with those u6 in-walls. They are pretty sharp and would also support VOIP phones....

We had a lot of discussions about alternative home builds. Here is one example:

Omada has even better roaming than UniFi when the controller is used. Easy home router like setup as well. Omada compatible APs are available in ceiling, wall plate, outdoor form. Whatever you want plus wireless AP options if needed. Cheaper than UniFi and very good quality Qualcomm hardware.

Omada SDN Controller emulator for an idea what it is: