What's new

Best practices: Small Business network, lots of clients, no dedicated server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beengone

Occasional Visitor
Not sure this is the right place for this thread, but here goes.

I need to set up a small business that has at any time about 20-30 devices connected to their network. They have no dedicated server on which to run DHCP, so it has to be in the ISP provider's gateway or in the wireless router. we're redoing their network including a patch panel, single, large switch, etc. However, I'm curious as to the best way to manage all this. Also, the ISP-provided gateway (SMC) is a wireless router as well. The current wireless router is a Cisco/Linksys Smart Wi-fi unit.

Am I best off contacting the ISP and getting them to set or give me the credentials (if they will) for the SMC and use it as the DHCP server and Wi-Fi router? Or, should I just use it as a dumb modem, connect it to the Linksys router and use it for those services?

What order should I connect these in? Should it be gateway to switch then connect each device off the switch and run the wi-fi router as an AP only? Or, should I go gateway>wi-fi router>switch?

I need access between the registered wi-fi network (non-guest) and the wired LAN.

What is best practices here?

Since you don’t seem to know much about this I would keep the router they have running and just use a ISP’s device as a dumb modem. Usually free ISP routers are not as good as bought routers.

When you connect everything up start with the ISP’s device set as a bridged modem or just ask your ISP to provide a modem only. Then connect your working wireless router to the modem. Then connect a switch to the wireless router. Then connect patch panel ports to switch ports. Then connect workstations to wall Ethernet ports.

If you need more help just ask detailed questions.