What's new

Best router for experimenting with Merlin FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I finally got some time with nobody around so I could do the swap out. So far, I'm not seeing a lot of performance difference between the R7800 and RT-AC86U. If there's a drop-off, it's not readily noticeable.

What is immediately noticeable is the difference between NG's firmware and Asus'. I'm back to having most of the options I had with DD-WRT on a firmware that was built specifically for my device. It's like the best of both worlds.

And I like the Smart Connect feature. My devices are using a lot more 5Ghz than they were before because of the default rules in Smart Connect. I might tweak them but right now it's working well enough that the only steady usage on 2.4Ghz are the devices that can't do 5Ghz, like the washer and dryer.

I have just about 10" between the shelf and the ceiling. The tops of the R7800 antennas are about 1" from the ceiling.
Antennas in a vertical position create a “horizontal donut” coverage area. If you put antennas horizontally, then the “donut” becomes vertical. If the router is placed in a center of a house, you can use either antenna position at any angle.
With horizontally positioned antennas, you can put the router in the basement and still have great coverage for the whole house.
Placing the router too high above the ground, makes the signal leak farther beyond the walls, which might not be desirable.
Contrary to all the common suggestions out there (the higher the better), the best position is in the middle of the basement under the ceiling with antennas positioned horizontally. It provides an easy access and no one can see the router or the wiring.

Yeah I'm familiar with the propagation patterns - we have a single story house with no basement so the best place I've found it near the ceiling in the center of the house. I've tried just about every positioning test you can think of and high, center, with antennas vertical works best.

Yeah I'm familiar with the propagation patterns - we have a single story house with no basement so the best place I've found it near the ceiling in the center of the house. I've tried just about every positioning test you can think of and high, center, with antennas vertical works best.
I would suggest that "near the ceiling" works well for you because the lower the antennas are mounted in your single-floor house, the more obstruction will exist from plumbing, stoves, refrigerators, humans, etc.

Kong has jumped into the R7800 pool on OpenWRT...

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/kong-ipq806x-builds/43640

Bodes well for OpenWRT and the IPQ806x branch... (and perhaps upstream if NG is smart about things)

Enjoy...

sfx

@Voxel - FYI...

He's been building OpenWRT for a while now and quit DD-WRT altogether a couple of months ago (that's why I'm here again). His builds for R7800 are pretty bare bones, it's not really "set it and forget it". After spending all the time learning DD-WRT I just didn't have the wherewithal to go through it again. And inevitably, Kong will move on again and we'll be right back here in 2 years...again.

Kong has jumped into the R7800 pool on OpenWRT...

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/kong-ipq806x-builds/43640

Bodes well for OpenWRT and the IPQ806x branch... (and perhaps upstream if NG is smart about things)

Enjoy...

sfx

@Voxel - FYI...

Yes, thanks. I was informed about this by other guys too. Well, I am still pushing my version ;). Now playing with Orbi, first release of Voxel. (OpenWRT deserves respect of course).

Voxel.

Yes, thanks. I was informed about this by other guys too. Well, I am still pushing my version ;). Now playing with Orbi, first release of Voxel. (OpenWRT deserves respect of course).

Indeed - and a rising tide lifts all boats on vendors that pull in OpenWRT...

QSDK, of course, is based on an older branch, with all the special sauce they pour in (NSS support for example)...

Indeed - and a rising tide lifts all boats on vendors that pull in OpenWRT...

QSDK, of course, is based on an older branch, with all the special sauce they pour in (NSS support for example)...

Main problems are bugs... Older SDK not so bad but any SDK should be used with care, by professionals, with clear understanding what-is-the-goal and how-to-reach-it. IMO NG/DNI should concentrate only on fixing already reported bugs instead of implementation of new functionality (introducing new bugs). Headache for me.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!