What's new

Best Router for Gigabit Internet, Currently Have R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yoxxy

New Around Here
Installed Merlin firmware and throughout went up to 90 meg/sec after enabling jumbo frame. It's close enough now that I'll just keep what I have as opposed to trying to stretch out the last few Mbps...

Last edited:
I have the WRT ac1900 linksys on my gigabit internet and it's performed better than all of the ac3200 models I've tried including the asus, dlink, netgear r7500(2350). They are all pretty similar wired(~930 down), but upstairs in my house my imac hits about 550 down using the wrt. It got about 375 on the asus and low 300's on the others. I can't find any reason to replace it even with all the claims of cut through technology or acceleration on those other models.

I have the WRT ac1900 linksys on my gigabit internet and it's performed better than all of the ac3200 models I've tried including the asus, dlink, netgear r7500(2350). They are all pretty similar wired(~930 down), but upstairs in my house my imac hits about 550 down using the wrt. It got about 375 on the asus and low 300's on the others. I can't find any reason to replace it even with all the claims of cut through technology or acceleration on those other models.

I reviewed the WRT1900ac V1 a year ago, and it's still one of the best performing AC1900 class routers out there - they got a lot of bad press with the OpenWRT thing, and some initial SW instability, but that's all sorted...

Most of the performance advantages of the WRT1900ac line come down to two things...

4 radios - that extra radio is worth 3dB relative signal gain just by itself, and that goes for both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.

Discrete logics in the GigE switching fabric - they don't need shortcuts like CTF, it's just fast... but a bit more expensive... this is an enterprise AP/Router hiding as an SOHO router from a performance perspective.

Doesn't hurt that the Marvell Armada's are pretty stout NAS chips on the eSATA and USB2/3 front...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!