What's new

Best router on the market? current using R7800 and AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not conflating anything. High end in specs only means next to nothing for me. The expensive routers are there for the people who believe that throwing money at a problem is a solution (or satisfying some other way).

The routers that work are the true high-end ones worthy of consideration.

I'm not conflating anything. High end in specs only means next to nothing for me. The expensive routers are there for the people who believe that throwing money at a problem is a solution (or satisfying some other way).

The routers that work are the true high-end ones worthy of consideration.
As a tinkering enthusiast with no love for those spider routers, I have considering moving to a Raspberry CM4+I/O board for my next wired router upgrade. Add a double port PCI-E Ethernet adapter, install OpenWRT and wire it to a fibre ONT and a switch.
With the CM4 we get 4 Arm A72 cores and can choose from 1 to 4GB of memory and your own storage.

@thiggins, your post perfectly explains why we need more horsepower in Wi-Fi 6E routers. The current implementations are too weak and too far back in the past to be effective today (a scenario where the full performance that is promised, is deliverable).
I don't know which post you are referring to. I am NOT saying more compute power/RAM/flash is needed for consumer routers.

At any rate, I'm done with this discussion. Your mind is made up.

6E cost reduction will come the same way it has in previous generations, primarily by reducing the # of RF chains per radio. Putting three radios on a SoC will usually result in two chains per radio.

No need to continue a discussion if you don't want to. My mind isn't made up on anything - I'm in learning mode. But if the above quote isn't a reason we need more processing in current routers (let alone future ones), I don't know what is. That is, if we want the most performance possible, of course.

I don't see how that quote above implies a lack of processing power at all, I think you misunderstood what he was stating. The processing is handled by offload processors for radios, even QoS these days is handled by separate offload cores. It seems more like it was referring to cutting down things for lower priced models.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!