What's new

Best setup for the Asus RT-AC68U (ACTUALIZED to 2019)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the info. While it appears there's lots of Merlin fans here and I appreciate what L&LD states the Wireless>Performance>802.11ac Beamforming setting is set to the default (Enable). Since Universal Beamforming is disabled, should I do the same for this?
The user selectable setting only. As far as I remember, flush caches is set to default Yes in stock Asuswrt.

Given that the wireless drivers and many other closed source blobs are not touched by RMerlin, and are therefore identical stock vs. RMerlin, doesn't mean that the WiFi and LAN experience Is identical stock vs. RMerlin.

Even if the performance is identical as it sometimes may be (which is, after all, just one aspect of a network), the RMerlin firmware offers better defaults, better security, and even more bug fixes than the equivalent stock firmware provides (and that's just the stuff that we know about). That is how the network experience is enhanced as a whole by RMerlin firmware, even over stock, even at defaults.

Choosing to ignore these obvious benefits is everyone's prerogative, of course. But this constantly repeated miscommunication (that if you're not using specific features that RMerlin firmware offers, then, stock firmware is better), is simply wrong.

The sum is greater than the parts. And the synergy is there no matter how (simple or complicated) the router is set up.
Unlike many here, I have few wireless devices. Having had zero problems with ASWRT in the past and noting what others have commented about the Merlin benefits, I'm wondering why I'd need to change. Also, on the earlier post with recommended settings, there's nothing about disabling the 802.11ac Beamforming. Since you recommend disabling Universal Beamforming, should it be disabled as well? Thanks

No, normally it shouldn't be.

Yes, you do not have any experience running Asus RMerlin powered routers in an actual home network environment.

I have experience testing equipment. I work with numbers, not beliefs.

Wireless>Performance>802.11ac Beamforming setting is set to the default (Enable)

Leave this Enabled, it's part of 802.11ac specifications. It requires client support though. Your clients may not support Beamforming.

Everyone works with numbers. Your beliefs are based on semi-logical conclusions of narrow and short-term testing. You only know what you know (the numbers). My actual experience is deeper and broader (which you're trying to conveniently dismiss by blankly ignoring anything other than 'the numbers').

No, normally it shouldn't be.
I really appreciate your guidance. That said, were I to install Merlin, do I have to start from scratch or will the settings in stock remain? In a Reddit post about the comparison, this statement was made: Merlin codes for stability, speed, and features, in that order. If I install Merlin will I get better speed? Thanks again

My actual experience

Your actual "experience" prevents you from recognizing popular models on picture and available ports on Asus routers, as well as compatible firmware versions. Latest example in recent thread here. Memory issues?

I can prove the numbers. You can't prove your beliefs. This is the difference. And there is something breaking AiMesh in Asuswrt-Merlin, very obvious with non-HND router models added as nodes to HND main router. Of course, you've never seen this issue. There is nowhere for you to see it. ;)

If I install Merlin will I get better speed?

No. Try it and see for yourself, if you have time to waste. It is recommended to reset your router to defaults after installing Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Your actual "experience" prevents you from recognizing popular models on picture and available ports on Asus routers, as well as compatible firmware versions. Latest example in recent thread here. Memory issues?

I can prove the numbers. You can't prove your beliefs. This is the difference. And there is something breaking AiMesh in Asuswrt-Merlin, very obvious with non-HND router models added as nodes to HND main router. Of course, you've never seen this issue. There is nowhere for you to see it. ;)

No. Try it and see for yourself, if you have time to waste. It is recommended to reset your router to defaults after installing Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
Thanks..My desktop is macOS and after downloading the zip, I'm unable to open the file since Mac doesn't have the utility..what now?

@Tech9 , @L&LD - you two need to start ignore each other...

Any ideas what App Store application will open the .trx file?

This is the extension of the firmware file. No App Store. Click on Upload in Administration, Firmware Upgrade in GUI:

Untitled_up.png

You can't load Asuswrt-Merlin from the Asus App, if this is what you are trying to do. You need to use the router's GUI. After the firmware update process is complete, reset the router to factory defaults and configure it manually. Don't use saved configuration files from different firmware versions.

This is the extension of the firmware file. No App Store. Click on Upload in Administration, Firmware Upgrade in GUI:

View attachment 40192

You can't load Asuswrt-Merlin from the Asus App, if this is what you are trying to do. You need to use the router's GUI. After the firmware update process is complete, reset the router to factory defaults and configure it manually. Don't use saved configuration files from different firmware versions.
Thanks..so once I upload I have to begin from scratch? New log in, password, SSID names, etc?

If upgrading from current Asuswrt 386_46065, I would just flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top and check if everything is working properly. If I run into issues, I would reset to default and set the router up manually. Same name/pass and SSIDs are fine. There is no change in radio hardware or drivers anyway.

If upgrading from current Asuswrt 386_46065, I would just flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top and check if everything is working properly. If I run into issues, I would reset to default and set the router up manually. Same name/pass and SSIDs are fine. There is no change in radio hardware or drivers anyway.
Thanks..unfortunately when I clicking the yellow upload text, nothing happens. As stated previously, I'm unable to find a program to open the .trx file after downloading the appropriate Merlin zip file. So it appears Merlin can't be installed on Macs

As stated previously, I'm unable to find a program to open the .trx file

You don't "open" the .trx file. All you need is a browser and file location, Windows or Mac. Upload the file in GUI.

Are you sure you want to continue further with firmware version containing even more settings options?

You don't "open" the .trx file. All you need is a browser and file location, Windows or Mac. Upload the file in GUI.

Are you sure you want to continue further with firmware version containing even more settings options?
I like your style..honest to a fault. But yeah, it might be overkill for someone like myself. Spending tons of time installing and configuring could be a waste of time. Regardless I truly appreciate the help..The router is delivering better speed than my previous one which is why I bought it!

No intention to offend you. There are better ways to spend free time than fiddling with router settings. I don’t like wasting someone’s time, especially when I know the end result in advance. Again, if you want more configuration options - Asuswrt-Merlin. If you want better speed - router and clients upgrade.

Did someone already tell you it is best to use a wired connection to your router when you upload the new firmware?

No, a wired connection is not really needed to flash the firmware on Asus routers. Even Asus state WiFi or wired.

No, a wired connection is not really needed to flash the firmware on Asus routers. Even Asus state WiFi or wired.
Thanks..everyone. Based on what Tech9 has stated, I won't be shifting to Merlin since the copious other features aren't needed. I so appreciate everyone's advice. The RT-AC68P is running smooth, giving better speed with the latest ASWRT firmware

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!