What's new

Best SmartHome Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
What is the best smart home security? I am a novice at this stuff but it seems like the Apple system using Blue tooth local and internet through your iCloud is fairly secure. Am I missing something?

I am going to buy more stuff if I don't hear about a better more secure system.

PS
This system also runs if the internet is down with scheduling. So if you are out of town and the internet goes down then your lights will still turn on and off based on your set scheduling.

Last edited:
OK. I guess I crossed over on security. I was thinking computer based stuff with no monthly fees. I have ADT in my house with motion, door, CO, and fire sensors. My ADT is on a separate cell and wireless system. It must be commercial as I don't see it on my computer stuff. I had ADT on a LAN line but it is easy to cut that so now it runs a cell straight out of the ADT box with battery backup.

Doesn't your ADT have a monthly cost?

I don't know anything about Apple, so I can't comment on that.

I use Ring, which has fire, CO, motion, door/window sensors, DOOR LOCKS, battery backup, and cell backup. The discount on my homeowner's insurance offsets the annual cost minus twenty bucks (having it monitored costs me $20/yr.) and monitoring is optional--the Ring app still works without it AFAIK. Ring uses Z-Wave.

It also integrates with its doorbell cameras and Alexa and is terribly simple to install/configure.

Doesn't your ADT have a monthly cost?

I don't know anything about Apple, so I can't comment on that.

I use Ring, which has fire, CO, motion, door/window sensors, DOOR LOCKS, battery backup, and cell backup. The discount on my homeowner's insurance offsets the annual cost minus twenty bucks (having it monitored costs me $20/yr.) and monitoring is optional--the Ring app still works without it AFAIK. Ring uses Z-Wave.

It also integrates with its doorbell cameras and Alexa and is terribly simple to install/configure.

Yes ADT has a monthly fee. I was trying to keep out commercial home security companies out of this thread. I was looking for DIY computer based home security items. But ADT has no part in my home Apple HomeKit.

The problem with most IoT devices is when you use it across the internet. How safe is it? I like how Apple uses Homekit on the AppleTV and uses iCloud for the internet. Your AppleTV is always running so it makes a good server plat forum to run scheduling on. I also figure iCloud is fairly safe across the internet.

So are you saying you need a commercial security company to have a safe home. Is there no reason to look at products the run on your home network?

The main reason I have a monitored system is for fire protection. If the smoke detectors sound an alarm it goes directly to the UL certified monitoring station and the fire department responds. If I depended on a self monitored system it then depends on me getting the call then calling the fire department which is all good and well but what happens if I don't get the call as I'm sitting in a movie and I don't hear the call, sitting in a stadium with 80,000 people and I can't get dial tone, or I am in an area without cell service?

For break in protection it probably doesn't make much difference as around here it seems to take 20+ minutes for the sheriff to show up. By then my stuff is long gone.

Yes ADT has a monthly fee. I was trying to keep out commercial home security companies out of this thread. I was looking for DIY computer based home security items. But ADT has no part in my home Apple HomeKit.

The problem with most IoT devices is when you use it across the internet. How safe is it? I like how Apple uses Homekit on the AppleTV and uses iCloud for the internet. Your AppleTV is always running so it makes a good server plat forum to run scheduling on. I also figure iCloud is fairly safe across the internet.

So are you saying you need a commercial security company to have a safe home. Is there no reason to look at products the run on your home network?

What do you mean, "How safe is it [use it across the Internet]?" What do you think is "unsafe"?

Your "AppleTV is always running" but what do you think it's connected to? The Internet.
What you're suggesting is having a telephone not connected to anything outside your own house--not much good, is it?

If you wanted a glorified buzzer for your home security, Samsung SmartThings, et al. can handle that (same thing: it's a Z-Wave and Zigbee hub that can run functions locally; Amazon Echo is Zigbee and can run some things locally but not as much I don't think) but you have to program all that and their SmartThings app is in a state of flux right now (the geniuses at Samsung thought it would be great to completely remake their app and "upgrade" everyone to the new version before it can do half the things the "old" version does.

A problem with using various IoTs is that, my experience, they tend to fail and the more vendors and pieces you cobble together, the harder it is to fix (right now my SmartLife [Tuya-based] plug goes "offline" and I only discover that when my Alexa routine tries to operate it but when I troubleshoot it, it comes back online. Is it the plug, the SmartLife app, the router [Asus POS gaming router, could very well be], Alexa, or the integration between the two?)

This is why I like Ring: it is its own platform (more secure--it's its own Z-Wave hub running things locally and has a cellular backup--I can lose power and Internet and 1. it will still work fine and 2. I will know about it immediately) and since Amazon bought Ring, it will be tightly integrated with Alexa. Additionally, Alexa Guard (when I arm the alarm) turns all seven of my Echo devices into glass-break sensors.

Based on your concerns, I think Ring (or something equivalent) is your best bet since it checks all your boxes.

My AppleTV has been running my HomeKit for a couple of weeks now with any problems. My Eve light switcher runs every day with no drops outs or any problems. If I decide I want it to turn it on earlier I use my iPhone and it works every time. When I go to bed I turn off the lights in my living room with my iPhone. I like how it works and I feel safe security wise. I think Apple does a good job with security and I trust them. I am thinking about expansion.

I have 3 Alexas. One is the original Alexa and 2 small pucks. We use them for music and intercom. The original Alexa has the best sound. My wife uses it every day for radio and pod casts. My problem with Alexa is she goes off line if you lose internet so I am not so sure I trust her for too much responsibility. She might blip out any minute.

To follow-up about the post about Ring - more bad news.

https://gizmodo.com/stranger-breaks-into-ring-camera-terrorizes-8-year-old-1840406078

Very creepy. If you're going to setup "smart" devices, I think the first thing you should do is find someone "smart" and "qualified" to set them up properly if you lack the knowledge and know-how yourself. I see so many people buy and connect these things for the simple sake of being cool and it makes me cringe.

Last edited:
My advice will be to Look for systems that are Grade 2 and above in accordance with EN 50301.

It's a European standard, so most of the results you'll find will be European products, but generally they're also sold in the US (Honeywell etc.).

Compliance with this standard means the systems and components will have been tested to certain criteria which is also used by commercial, industrial and governmental installers.

For CCTV, any recognisable brand names should suffice, Hikvision/ Dahua are generally the go to for domestic CCTV systems.

These articles are misleading: buried in them, towards the end, after all the paranoia, drama, and sensationalism, is the fact that people are reusing passwords and doing things everyone is repeatedly told not to do.

Ring cameras aren't "getting hacked", useless passwords are. This is akin to leaving your key under the welcome mat and saying someone picked (hacked) your lock when they just used your key.

And the other article (a bunch of maps with a bunch of "yeah, so what, get to the point" text which is TL, so DR) shows cameras everywhere (Ring is popular...wonderful...kinda knew that already). Yeah, what'll that do for crime--which is the point?

It's like people insist on being afraid of something always: either crime or crime-deterrents.

There are actually smart home security devices that you don't need to pay for monthly. We recently found smart security devices that work best with Google Home Mini wireless, and they don’t require monthly fees, of course, aside from the utilities.

The main reason I have a monitored system is for fire protection. If the smoke detectors sound an alarm it goes directly to the UL certified monitoring station and the fire department responds.

Exactly - same goes with Burglary...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!