What's new

Best vertical ASUS AX router to use with AC clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElShaddai Edwards

Occasional Visitor
Currently have an AC86U as my main router with AC68U, AC66U and AC56R media bridges. I need to replace the 66. Originally thought about just getting another AC86U and keeping things "as is" since they're working well. But there seems to be a lot of sentiment here toward moving away from AC.

If I make the jump to AX, what config will work best with my current AC devices? I can't replace everything with AX right now. Is it better to think about (1) replacing the main router with an AX86U and bump the AC86U down the line, (2) get an AX68U as a media bridge and wait until I really need a new main router, or (3) would an AX68U perform better than the AC86U as a main router?

My biggest constraint is that the main router needs to be a vertical format device, so big flat routers like the AX6000 don't work. And, of course, I don't have any other AX clients (yet), so this is primarily working as an AC network.

Thanks!

Advice is subjective to needs. The AC86 is prone to problems and failure and I don't think anyone here would recommend buying another. If you need to buy another go with AX, they are backward compatible. Don't buy an older unit. Price points: I like the AX86U (not the S version) but the AX68 may fit your needs. Just be sure that you have a good return store policy if you have a hard time making it work as the Main replacement. That means moving the AC86 down the line.