What's new

Best VPN provider for Wireguard in ASUS (Merlin) firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sl4fko

Regular Contributor
The title says it all...

With Wireguard coming to ASUS routers in new 388 firmware, which VPN provider could be (is) the best choice (downloadable Wireguard configs, fastest services/servers...)? I am currently on NordVPN but it has no wireguard option, only its proprietary NordLynx service. ProtonVPN maybe?

Nordlynx is WG... it's all about marketing but, it's WG. I tested a handful of services with WG when I was up for renewal but, Nord beat them all for speed. If you need a "file" then you can make one but, the app provisions everything automatically when you connect. The reason you don't find most VPN's with WG having a file is it's not just some generic connect profile like you have with OVPN.

If Asus was more robust you could simply download one of the other OS option program installables and run it on the router itself.

https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian/pool/main/ -- this is for Linux based machines but, you can see they have different CPU models listed.

NordLynx is a propriety implementation based on WireGuard. You can't use it without their closed source app.
You can if you make your own file by gathering the info needed to make it. Nordlynx is the dummy proof way. There are tutorials out there on the web on how to do it.

You'll need to boot into Linux with a USB drive to collect the info needed to make a file but, it's pretty straight forward to do.

The title says it all...

With Wireguard coming to ASUS routers in new 388 firmware, which VPN provider could be (is) the best choice (downloadable Wireguard configs, fastest services/servers...)? I am currently on NordVPN but it has no wireguard option, only its proprietary NordLynx service. ProtonVPN maybe?
Well, I'm using Wireguard with AirVPN. It's pretty straightforward. You can buy a 3-day license for only 2€.
With this provider, you can even forward ports between the VPN public IP and your LAN devices.
They have a configurator for generating configuration files for different operating systems: Android, Windows, Linux; and you can choose between OpenVPN or Wireguard for the protocol you want to use.
Regards.

StrongVPN works well, is reliable and the provide you with a configuration file.

I run three clients on my AC86 and they run reliably for weeks at a time and on nearby servers get download speed of approximately 200 Mbps.

On my VPN appliance I can get download speeds over 800 Mbps.

What VPN appliance is that?

What VPN appliance is that?
Small form PC with an I7 processor and 8 gigs of memory. Processor is designed for portable PC and the unit draws 14 watts of power. No fan or graphics card.

Small form PC with an I7 processor and 8 gigs of memory. Processor is designed for portable PC and the unit draws 14 watts of power. No fan or graphics card.
I do the same but full ATX and some people don't like it around here. I rolled several functions into the box though in addition to the VPN aspect.

I've setup router for Wireguard connection with ProtonVPN without issue. Instruction are provided in your account.

Hi..Could I ask for a hint on how to set the wireguard client to rt-ax 88u?

The title says it all...

Hello @sl4fko

view my recent post for advise.

Regards