What's new

Best way to extend wi-fi signal repeater or AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xmatic

New Around Here
So I have a Netgear nighthawk x6 as my primary router and I also purchased two (TM-AC1900) Asus RT AC68U ;) which are currently running Aimesh with the latest firmware. I only want to use two routers at the moment and DON'T want to use 3 routers to setup Aimesh. Basically, all I would like to do is set up a second router in another portion of my home as a wireless repeater to extend signal, but the only problem I have is that I have to manually switch to repeater ssid depending what part of my home I'm located. Is there a way to set this up without having to manually switch AP or repeater? Also is there a way to consolidate all SSID into just one, where it would automatically be picked up by every device on the network?

I don't know on the Asus specifically, but assuming you're setting it up as a wireless (not wired) you just want to set it up so that it connects to one of the SSIDs of the main router, and also that it broadcasts exactly the same SSID and password.

Then clients will be able to join either router transparently. You may have clients that will be dumb and not want to roam from one to the other when moving around the house. That is somewhat unavoidable (I've played with a few android apps that try to work to fix this on my Samsung phone, though)

I personally Run two AC68's 1 as a router and the other in repeater mode, it works perfectly. My personal setupst homei have the repeaternamed -office justto keep my officearea kind of separate from the rest of my network, but at my parents house I have the same same setup but with the same SSID for easy transition from one side of the house to the other.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk