What's new

Best Wifi Antennas? (5Ghz)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Danielkl

New Around Here
Hi,

I'd be interested to know what people would recommend for the best wifi antennas out there, ideally for 5Ghz. Currently I'm using a set of 6 of these 12dBi gain directional antennas as a triplet pointed at eachother to bridge over a wireless network. Adding a repeater / running cable / powerline / increasing TX power is not possible, and I'd be interested if there are decent options out there. Connection via standard RP-SMA.

I'm seeing a bunch of claimed "25dBi" Yagi antennas designed for 2.4Ghz and some panel type at 16-19dBi designed for 5Ghz on ebay. Anyone know if these are all they claim to be?

you may know: the higher the gain, the more narrow the beamwidth is. Just like a flashlight or spotlight. So it's always a tradeoff. The antennas you picture are sector antennas. And the one shown looks like a TNC or RP-TNC connector versus the more popular RP-SMA for unlicensed band gear.

In 2.4GHz, 12dBi omni antennas are sometimes used, BUT their VERTICAL beamwidth is just 7 degrees or so. Thus, they can't be put on elevated masts or rooftops and get good close-in coverage (do the trig).

At 5.8GHz, the gain is a bit higher than in 2.4GHz, for about the same-sized antenna.

I'd avoid more than 12dBi gain unless you are doing a point to point bridge link.
Gets too hard to aim and keep them aimed properly.

I use some 10-15dBi 2.4GHz Yagi's that have a 30 degree pattern or so. Good for certain situations.

In all, you have to avoid losses in the coax length and type.

Here's a good source:
http://www.l-com.com/

Bridge links (point to point) is best done with an all-in-one unit such as:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168092&name=Wireless-AP-Bridges

No coax losses, outdoor packaged, PoE, etc.

Last edited:
Regarding antenna, gain is one of many factors. vertical/horizontal main lobe radiation angle, antenna height, polarization, feeder line, impedance matching, all matters.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!