What's new

Beta 374.501

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluepoint

Very Senior Member
Is posted in the Asus download site for RT-Ac68U.
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.501
Fixes:
1. Improved 2.4Ghz speed for handheld devices.
2. Fixed UI issues in OpenVPN manual client settings.
3. Changed VPN client FAQ link.
4. Fixed port forwarding issues in dual WAN, load balanced mode.
5. Fixed dual WAN UI issues.
6. Updated descriptions in VPN server.
7. Fixed issue with VPN client unable to get DNS response.
8. Fine tuned the CTF settings.

IPv6
1. IPv6 now allows LAN stateful auto configuration while DHCP-PD enabled.
2. Fixed DHCPv6 related issues.

Additions:
1. Added RSSI/PSM/SGI/STBC information in wireless log.
File Size 28,1 (MBytes) 2013.12.20 update

installed..

i faced small hitch..

when i installed this fw and restored factory defaults, it was kind of stuck for long.. then i manually switched off and on again and in that case the factory defaults were not there (the earlier settings were there).. even now if i restore factory defaults the same thing happens..

Last edited:
Fixes:

IPv6

Additions:

On AC56U: when connected to PIA VPN, DNS is still broken. for example, I can Google "ASUS downloads" and Google will return search results, BUT clicking on any of the links results in "Firefox can't find the server at support.asus.com."

the only way to browse internet is to manually set DNS servers (like 8.8.8.8)

NOTE: if you are NOT using VPN, you most likely will not see this problem.

Attn VPN Client users: you still need to manually connect to VPN every time you reboot the modem or the router

Thanks for the link! Will install it when I finish up on this call. What is the "best" recommended way to do a factory reset after upgrade? 30 / 30 / 30? Or... can i just use the UI to do a factory reset?

Recommendation: if you expect some wireless improvements do yourself a favour and restore factory defaults after this update. Take the time to reconfigure the beast - don't restore old config backups!.

Compared nvram default settings btw 374.454 and 374.501: Asus changed quite a few settings concerning wireless powermanagement when coming from 374.454. Some less are related to USB changes.

Recommendation: if you expect some wireless improvements do yourself a favour and restore factory defaults after this update. Take the time to reconfigure the beast - don't restore old config backups!.

Compared nvram default settings btw 374.454 and 374.501: Asus changed quite a few settings concerning wireless powermanagement when coming from 374.454. Some less are related to USB changes.
Can you clarify the best way to reset to factory defaults? Can I just use the option in the Web UI? Or do I need to do a 30 / 30 /30 reset?

I did the upgrade of the firmware, and then I did a 30-30-30 reset (hold wps button for 30, unplug, hold for 30 while unplugged, re-plug while still holding for another 30).

I just went through and finished re-applying all of my settings. I also ran a speedtest. Seems like there is less jitter on the speedtest, but I'll see how things go after keeping it on for a while.

So far 501 seems OK. However I just loaded it and am going out tonight. Only did a reboot via telnet so a factory reset will have to wait for now.

I did the upgrade of the firmware, and then I did a 30-30-30 reset (hold wps button for 30, unplug, hold for 30 while unplugged, re-plug while still holding for another 30).

I just went through and finished re-applying all of my settings. I also ran a speedtest. Seems like there is less jitter on the speedtest, but I'll see how things go after keeping it on for a while.

30-30-30 method is no longer need on newer routers. It doesnt even work on Netgear R7000.

And the reset button is for what then??

WPS button : To clear router settings :
1) Switch the router off
2) Press the WPS button, and keep it pressed
3) Switch the router on
5) Wait 15 seconds, then release the WPS button
6) Wait about 15 seconds, then power cycle router

Reset button : To recover from a firmware flashing failure :
1. Set your PC to a static IP (192.168.1.100, gateway 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1)
2. Switch the router off.
3. Press the reset button, and keep it pressed
4. Switch the router on
5. Wait until the POWER led starts blinking, then release the reset button
6. Either access http://192.168.1.1/ or run the Firmware Recovery tool from Asus's CD

The reset button will reset to factory defaults if the router is already booted and running normally. It will start into recovery mode if the router is NOT booted (i.e. you are turning it on while reset is being pressed).

The 30-30-30 thing is a DDWrtism where they try to devise a single reset procedure that works on a maximum number of router models. There is no need to go through all that trouble with any of the Asus routers, simply use the documented method - it will take a few seconds instead of spending 90 seconds getting finger cramps.

On this beta build I see that HW acceleration has two choices:-

CTF Level 1
CTF Level 2

Could anybody explain the differences between these? Many thanks.

Something seems wonky with my 5ghz band now... 2.4ghz is okay, but 5ghz isn't even showing up on my wife's 802.11ac MacBook Air, and it barely works on my 802.11n MacBook Air.

Fixes:

IPv6

Additions:
374.501 seems OK so far. My 2 TEW-680MB's are connecting to the 2.4GHz band at 405Mbps tx and 450Mbps rx. One is getting 73% signal from the router while the other is at 81%. I have 9dB antennae on the RT-AC68U so that helps too but this firmware is increasing signal reception on the order of 15% to 20%. Stability seems OK but I have only just now finished entering my configuration settings from scratch. The real test will be when someone tries to view HD video "on demand" as it downloads. If the 5GHz band performs as it did under 374.35_4 then it should not be a problem.

I was on firmware 371 since it came out and my 2 usb drives showed up in my PCs Network, my mobile devices under samba and aicloud. Then today I noticed TR-AC68U under Network (win 7) was gone. My mobile devices and aicloud can see it, but my PCs no longer have access to them via Network. Tried everything, disconnecting, rebooting, reconnecting, rebooting my 3 PCs. Then I updated to the 501 firmware, same thing. No issues with it other than no access via PCs to my USB drives on the router. Ideas?

I can't find 454 anywhere, anyone has a link to the build? Found it!

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!