What's new

[beta] Dual WAN helper script (discontinued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@peraburek thank you for coordinating this. have you heard any updates from asus? i tried to do the same years ago in getting folks to submit tickets to assus regarding dual wan not working but it was taking too much energy to coordinate. do you know if the code fix will apply to the 68u or only the 88u and newer? also, curious if they improved the usb modem code as they broke it at one point and connectivity was sporadic/difficult to get working.

in the mean time, what are folks using for dual wan, specifically two ethernet sources? i was thinking of trying a we826 or peplink... for the we826 would probably run openwrt. people seem to rave about the peplink though so may just go that way and use my 68u as an AP. it would be important to have hot-ready / hot-standby so the configuration pages can be accessed on each source even if its only setup for failover (and there is no failure occurring).

thanks!

Hi!
I'm understand what i'm doing a little :)
My router connects to ISP through another switch, then to GPON device (pri wan). Secondary WAN is just another router with LTE modem (mikrotik).
When i want to simulate Pri wan down, i just disconnects GPON device from switch, so AC-68U didn't loose link, but default gateway of pri wan from ISP becomes unreachable. It switches to secondary wan correctly. When default gateway becomes reachable again during 4 pings on each 4 seconds, it switches back.
Yes, of course, this schematics has disadvantages - only one target, no speedtest, no URL check (for example DNS or ICMP working but if your ISP blocks you access to internet because of billing - then this will not work).
But on previous version of FW, even this simple schematics didnt work - when router trys to failback it became switching between pri and sec wan and vice versa.

I tried this tonight with my RT-AC87U running 384.9 and an Android phone, I'm looking to get an LTE modem if it works.

The failover worked when I pulled the router WAN cable and it remained stable on the secondary until the cable was reconnected, then it switched back.

But when I pulled the fibre from the ISP GPON box, the router first failed over but then it started switching back and forth between primary and secondary.

Does this work for you on 384.9?

Hi! As i say before, i can't make it work with secondary WAN as LTE, i was able to do this only whem secondary WAN is ethernet.

Hi, thanks a lot of your reply. I hadn't seen your previous posts, I landed on your post from a forum search and I thought this may have been the same over the USB connection. It's still great that it works on ethernet though, I'll just get an LTE router with ethernet instead of USB. Thanks.

I know this thread is old, but does anybody still have a copy of the script available for my reference?

I won't be able to use the script, but I'd like to see how it worked.

After a few years with this setup I finally grew tired of Asus non-working Dual-WAN with my USB LTE sticks, now moving to a different solution with a second gateway provided via the LAN ports. I use 4 AC86U at different locations, two of which have an LTE USB stick for fail-over. I'd hate to move away from Asus, but our internet provider is having some stability issues so I'd really love to solve this for good.

Thanks in advance if anybody still has a copy.

I know this thread is old, but does anybody still have a copy of the script available for my reference?

After a few years with this setup I finally grew tired of Asus non-working Dual-WAN with my USB LTE sticks, now moving to a different solution with a second gateway provided via the LAN ports. I use 4 AC86U at different locations, two of which have an LTE USB stick for fail-over. I'd hate to move away from Asus, but our internet provider is having some stability issues so I'd really love to solve this for good.

Use wget or curl to download the file:
Code:
wget https://diversion.ch/scripts/dual-wan-helper_v1.0-beta3.zip

This is really sad to see, especially since this has been a known problem for years.

The plan is to simply plugin a second gateway to one of the LAN ports and disable Asus Dual-WAN handling completely.

I wrote a simple dual-gateway switching script years ago for my Ubuntu boxes. I'll see if I can get it to work on the Asus routers.

The script pinged both gateways and switched to the alternate gateway (and back) via updating the routing table.

But I am not sure if on the Asus routers we can manually update routing tables as I did on Ubuntu.

Code:
# switch to backup gateway
ip route del default
ip route add default via $BCK_GATEWAY
# flushing routing cache
ip route flush cache
logger "$0 - Remote IPs ($RMT_IP_1, $RMT_IP_2) not reachable - switched Default Gateway to backup with IP $BCK_GATEWAY"

[...]

# switching to default
ip route del default
ip route add default via $DEF_GATEWAY
ip route flush cache
logger "$0 - Gateway switched to default with IP $DEF_GATEWAY"

I'll be happy to test any promising solution, but for testing purposes I usually stick to default Asus firmware. Asus router product is Asus hardware + Asus software. The users don't have to fix anything by themselves to use the product with advertised functionality. This is called false advertising.

Your belief may have been valid 10 years ago, but today, RMerlin's code is in stock Asus firmware and vice versa. In addition, Asus works directly with RMerlin too, for a long time now.

A router/network isn't a simple, linear problem to be solved (once and done). It is a constantly moving target that requires the dedication that Asus and RMerlin have provided consistently over the last decade or more. Calling what they do/provide as 'false advertising' is a cop-out.

You can help or not with the testing. But the line in the sand you draw is imaginary.

There is no RMerlin code in Dual WAN. Asus doesn't offer nor support 3rd party firmware. I may run Asuswrt-Merlin, DD-WRT, FreshTomato or OpenWRT on supported Asus router models, but what Asus advertises as functionality is related to their own Asuswrt only. Nothing else. It's now in 2022.

2023 here, and I'd like to get a copy to play with too. Sorry for necroing this thread but the posted link no longer works as mentioned by TheLonelyCoder.
I understand it may not work but I'd like to play with it
Can someone please share an up to date link where to get this script please? I've searched google and github.
I really need a script to notify me on dual WAN failover.

I am looking for both dual-wan-helper_v1.0-beta3.zip and wan_connect_notification_v1.7.zip

2023 here, and I'd like to get a copy to play with too. Sorry for necroing this thread but the posted link no longer works as mentioned by TheLonelyCoder.
I understand it may not work but I'd like to play with it
Can someone please share an up to date link where to get this script please? I've searched google and github.
I really need a script to notify me on dual WAN failover.

I am looking for both dual-wan-helper_v1.0-beta3.zip and wan_connect_notification_v1.7.zip
Instead of trying to resurrect this, why not just jump on this from @Ranger802004?

Instead of trying to resurrect this, why not just jump on this from @Ranger802004?

Thanks Viktor!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!