What's new

[BETA] RT-AC66U Beta Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_8186

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I note that RT-AC66U_30043786065 has disappeared from the ASUS site and not been replaced. Are they trying to tell us something about 6065? The most current firmware on their site today is 3.0.0.4.378.4850, marked Beta, and over four months old. I don't think they've ever gone that long without an update.

Any changelog? The last one you had posted seems to work well for me. Just low wireless signal over Merlin. But uptime is great. Going on 30 days strong.

Sorry, sometimes it's a bit hard to get the changelogs. They are usually overloaded so I only get the firmwares.

Remember that you can rollback if you find any issue (please, if you find one, let me know so I can replicate it and report it for future builds)

Replied through Tapatalk

Look at the changelog for other models posted in this forum, they should be very similar since they all share the same firmware code. There will be a few exceptions, such as the Quantenna-specific changes being only for the RT-AC87U, for example.

Observations with RT-AC66U 8186, FWIW:

Network Map page,
1) click on "Clients" orb--"Client status" frame shows "Wireless (3)" (or similar) tab, but clicking on it does nothing.

2) click on "Clients" "View List" button--popup "All" button shows no clients, should be showing eleven, "By interface" "Wired" section shows eight clients correctly, "5 GHz" section empty despite three clients present and in count of "Client status" frame ("Wireless (3)"), no "2.4 GHz" section shown but no clients present, so maybe doesn't mean anything.

3) text below "Clients" orb shows "Clients: 10" and "Client status" frame accounts for 10 ("Wired (7) Wireless (3)"), but "Clients" "View List" button popup, "By interface" button, "Wired" shows 8 (correctly). (3 Wireless is also correct). So text below "Clients" orb shows "Clients: 11" and Client Status frame should show the "Wired (8)" and provide status for the 8th Wired client.

4) Client Status frame shows name of 8th (missing from count) in 7th position with icon, IP address, and MAC of the 7th wired client.

I was seeing similar issues with 6065.

Observations with RT-AC66U 8186, FWIW:

Network Map page,
1) click on "Clients" orb--"Client status" frame shows "Wireless (3)" (or similar) tab, but clicking on it does nothing.

2) click on "Clients" "View List" button--popup "All" button shows no clients, should be showing eleven, "By interface" "Wired" section shows eight clients correctly, "5 GHz" section empty despite three clients present and in count of "Client status" frame ("Wireless (3)"), no "2.4 GHz" section shown but no clients present, so maybe doesn't mean anything.

3) text below "Clients" orb shows "Clients: 10" and "Client status" frame accounts for 10 ("Wired (7) Wireless (3)"), but "Clients" "View List" button popup, "By interface" button, "Wired" shows 8 (correctly). (3 Wireless is also correct). So text below "Clients" orb shows "Clients: 11" and Client Status frame should show the "Wired (8)" and provide status for the 8th Wired client.

4) Client Status frame shows name of 8th (missing from count) in 7th position with icon, IP address, and MAC of the 7th wired client.

I was seeing similar issues with 6065.

Just tested the first one. Views just fine for me. Must be your browser perhaps?

Everything else displays fine for me. But then again, I don't have 20+ clients connecting. Just 10 tops. But they all view perfectly fine for me, and sort fine as well.

I did flash to this too, and it seems to be working just fine. Wireless strength has severely diminished though.

Also, under traffic manager... Bandwidth Limiter... "Clients" is misspelled.

I use Firefox. Tested it on Edge, and it still views fine. Did you do a factory reset at all after updating?
Have not. If I do, can I reload config from saved file? Only thing keeping me from doing this is the headache of getting all the settings restored.

Have not. If I do, can I reload config from saved file? Only thing keeping me from doing this is the headache of getting all the settings restored.

I wouldn't reload from a config as lots of things have changed. If I can set up my router in less than 5 minutes with all the settings I want, I'm sure you can too.

I must have way more settings (SMB and media server users/paths/permissions, guest network, QoS, VPN, assigned IPs, assigned ranges, changed admin name, changed default IP, long randomized WiFi keys, DDNS, specified DNS servers, port forwarding, etc. ad nauseum) than you do. Parental Controls and AiCloud are about the only two panels I don't have stuff customized on. Even if I had all the settings written carefully down, it would take half an hour or more to do all the navigation in the menus and copy/paste all the settings.

I did just try the reset settings/reload from a file saved by the same firmware version. Even at that, the DDNS request name got lost somehow. Can't say as it made the Client List/Client Status reporting any less wonky.

I must have way more settings (SMB and media server users/paths/permissions, guest network, QoS, VPN, assigned IPs, assigned ranges, changed admin name, changed default IP, long randomized WiFi keys, DDNS, specified DNS servers, port forwarding, etc. ad nauseum) than you do. Parental Controls and AiCloud are about the only two panels I don't have stuff customized on. Even if I had all the settings written carefully down, it would take half an hour or more to do all the navigation in the menus and copy/paste all the settings.

I did just try the reset settings/reload from a file saved by the same firmware version. Even at that, the DDNS request name got lost somehow. Can't say as it made the Client List/Client Status reporting any less wonky.

Thats part of the danger of restoring from a non-clean set up of the router. Any settings you had previously are null and void. Start from scratch, set up, then back up the config. This way you are ensuring it is clean and not corrupt.

When I ran the nvram save tool, and looked at the results, I saw lots of old cruft. (E.g., old MAC filter lists no longer enabled but still stored.) So I did this the old-fashioned way. Five minutes? LOL. Probably spent 30 minutes of almost an hour just watching "Applying settings" and logging in again after reboots. And now I have to spend the next weeks finding stuff dependent on the settings that I somehow missed. Oh, and IPv6 isn't working at the moment. Not sure why just yet.

But lots of things certainly seem less wonky in the router's UI, so probably needed done.

Gotta love this stuff. Small wonder ISPs dumb down their routers so far.

Day 3. Router uptime is still fine. However, WAN and WLAN dropped a few times due to an NTP update according to the log. I think I'd rather go back to 7449 or try DD-WRT again. Overall, it's just been poor wireless performance still, but seems stable otherwise.

Wow if it wasn't for the Betas supplied on here I would think the 66u was not being supported any longer. Almost 5 months no word on the site probably has many thinking this router is no longer supported.

Wow if it wasn't for the Betas supplied on here I would think the 66u was not being supported any longer. Almost 5 months no word on the site probably has many thinking this router is no longer supported.

I noticed these past few years that Asus often spend the summer working on finalizing new features, and aim for a late summer or early autumn release. That usually leads to a small period with fewer firmware releases.

Just be patient. They have a lot of different models to support, they can't do them all at once. That's the price of offering such long-term support.

I noticed these past few years that Asus often spend the summer working on finalizing new features, and aim for a late summer or early autumn release. That usually leads to a small period with fewer firmware releases.

Just be patient. They have a lot of different models to support, they can't do them all at once. That's the price of offering such long-term support.

I'm not so much worried for myself as I see from your site different but i'm sure people look at the April date and are like this router is dead. ASUS really should put up some sort of notification.

They also deleted more recent releases. That made me wonder if there were vulnerabilities in them or something and was how I found myself here in search of newer code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!