What's new

Binding a client to node disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HeadBanger

Regular Contributor
GT-AXE16000 master, RT-AX86U x 2, RT-AX59U, RP-AX58U -all wired nodes

I recently added the RT-AX59U node to our orangery. This room struggled to receive a reliable signal from the master GT-AXE16000.

Since adding it, our Miele hob and extractor hop around connecting to the master and new orangery node and never both to the same. Unless they are connected to the same access point, they do not talk to each other (e.g. switch the hob on and the extractor comes on automatically).

No problem, I thought, I’ll just bind them both. However, this fails after about 5 minutes with both clients permanently disconnecting. Same happens whichever I bind them to (16000 or 59U). Both access points state strongish 2.4 signal (around -73dBu) when connected. Only way to connect again is to unbind them.

Any ideas on what’s going on and how to solve within AiMesh? I don’t really want to make the 59U a traditional repeater with a new 2.4 SSID.

Thanks,
HB

Last edited:
Sounds like you have too much WIFI. Or, the smart kitchen products aren't too smart...

Are you using WPA2-PERSONAL only?

Sounds like you have too much WIFI. Or, the smart kitchen products aren't too smart...

Are you using WPA2-PERSONAL only?
Pretty sure there’s not too much. I only have the two APs in the house. The 16000 covers everything except the orangery where the second house node is now placed.

The kiitchen is in-between the two though and the appliances connect to either as long as not bound.

I think the WiFi is set to WPA2 and 3 personal. Does this cause binding issues?

HB

I think the WiFi is set to WPA2 and 3 personal. Does this cause binding issues?

HB
Not binding issues but connection issues. A lot of "smart" devices use just WPA2-Personal and WPA2/WPA3-Personal seems to confuse them. Either drop back to just WPA2-Personal or set up a guest1 WIFI for them with WPA2-personal.
Binding often does not work too well. Just let the clients connect where they will. I also recommend the use of Dual Band SmartConnect on the router.

Not binding issues but connection issues. A lot of "smart" devices use just WPA2-Personal and WPA2/WPA3-Personal seems to confuse them. Either drop back to just WPA2-Personal or set up a guest1 WIFI for them with WPA2-personal.
Binding often does not work too well. Just let the clients connect where they will. I also recommend the use of Dual Band SmartConnect on the router.
OK thanks I’ll try just WPA2 but I thought that the WPA2/3 setting would allow the client to use either?

I turned off smart connect after trying it many years ago. It caused too many issues for me (mainly Squeezeboxes not connecting at all) and also prefer to know what band I’m connected to by the SSID name.

I still need to find away to bind the Miele hob and extractor to the same AP in order for them to communicate though. They explain in their literature that this must be the case else they won't talk to each other - sure enough when they are connected to separate nodes/APs they fail to communicate.

Maybe dropping WPA3 will solve all of my issues!

HB

@bbunge - setting 2.4 WiFi to WPA2 Personal has solved the appliance connection issues and they are now talking to each other again.

Thank you very much!!

HB

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!