What's new

Block domains/websites

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

Hi, i have an harmony hub from logitech, that recently got a new firmware upgrade, thats seems to block APi access, this is nor rolled out worldwide; i am one of lucky ones..

on forums they suggest to block some domains, so the hub is unable to contact the logitech websit to download the firmware

so i created those entrys, see below, in screenshot,
but i am still able to ping those website, and can still surf to if if i test it from my laptop
whats wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2fctykpiv3bxcg/harmony.JPG?dl=0

First, you need to make sure that those domains are the actual ones accessed by the harmony.
A simple (non-permanent) way is to add those names to the router's hosts file (in /etc). Set the IP to 127.0.0.1

That should block the "real" sites and avoids a DNS lookup. However, those entries will get cleared after each reboot.

Once you're sure you've blocked them, you can create an OpenDNS account and add those to your blocked domain list. You'll need to set your WAN DNS to the OpenDNS IPs. If your router's WAN IP is dynamic, you'll need to follow the instructions on OpenDNS web site on installing a process that monitors and updates OpenDNS when it changes.

ok, but i dont have merlin on it, so cant access that /etc dir probably
an alternate way is to use the feature "block internet" on the device , but is this feature persistent after a reboot of the asus router?

ok, but i dont have merlin on it, so cant access that /etc dir probably
an alternate way is to use the feature "block internet" on the device , but is this feature persistent after a reboot of the asus router?
I edit it in /tmp/etc - Nothing to do with Merlin.

You can block internet access by going to the main screen and clicking the round icon (above the View List button). Find the client and click the client's icon (left side). You can then block internet access for that MAC. That should be persistent.

yes, same issues, so i just use the block inter access feature for that specific harmony device
and it works :)

I have also done that for now, but it breaks the Harmony mobile app and Google Home integration.

I just want to block the myharmony domain names, not completely block Internet access for each Harmony hub.

does it mather, i think if you block the domains, we are still unable to use the mobile app ? i think we are just stuck :)
you are also using home assistant? a patch is released to use websockets instead of api
so a working (temp) solution for now

No Vera. I have been told if you only block the domain names the Harmony mobile app works again as does Google Home voice control.

nah, not true i think, because if the mobile app hangs at "verifiing configuration", i think at that point, the harmony hubs is synching with the harmony servers, and is unable too if you block those domains

I can live without their mobile app but Google Home voice control I need ideally.

Several people on the Logitech forum have said if you just block the domains things work again but should block the firmware updates.

I'd like to try at least, if I can figure out how to actually block the domains on my Asus router ?

Vera is btw, compatible with Home Assistant, they made work around that use web sockets, so we are back in the air :)
vera is probably following quickly, since its open source code, and code is ready now

It just doesn't work the URL Filter, I don't know why? Although I am sure it use to work on my older Asus router with stock firmware.

I have enabled the Internet for my lounge Harmony hub again.

And I have now blocked the domain names by creating a hosts.add file and putting it in the jffs/config folder.

However I have the Merlin firmware, don't think you can do that with stock firmware. So you might need to find another way to block the domains.

See here for what I did:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-block-a-url-doesnt-appear-to-be-working.53965/#post-454092

My VPN was causing me some confusion initially, but now when I ping any of those myharmony domain names they resolve to 127.0.0.1 which puts them in a black hole and effectively blocks them.

No its not working the Harmony app or Google Home. I will have a more serious look at it tomorrow and see if I can get it working. That other guy says it should work, he blocked the domains but still has the Harmony app and Google Home working so it should be possible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!