What's new

Block wifi by IP range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beethart

New Around Here
Hello. Setting up a new RT-AX86U this weekend. With my old Netgear router I could block access to a range of IP address on a daily schedule. I used this to kick kids off WiFi at night, while keeping parent and appliances on (used static IPs for parent/appliances, then blocked DHCP range). This worked great because I didn't have to mess with each kid device, new devices, friends staying over, etc... It just shut down all DHCP clients.

I can't find anyway to do this broadly with the ASUS router. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks Colin. I did find this function, but it's by client. So I have to add each new device, and update when devices change, or when apple products change their "private" wifi/MAC address. I want to just turn off any device I haven't set a static IP address for.

Yeah, I think I can make that work. I'd have to shut off, for example, the 2.4 GHz network, and leave parent devices on the 5 GHz.

ColinTaylor is correct. You set the filter at the top and then you can specify the IPs that you want to shut down by setting it to Blacklist and entering the IPs in the table below in a CIDR notation.. just make the destination 0.0.0.0/0

Finally getting back to this. Thought this might work, but the Network Services Filter Table does not accept the CIDR notation. So no way to specify a range.

Finally getting back to this. Thought this might work, but the Network Services Filter Table does not accept the CIDR notation. So no way to specify a range.
John's firmware (and therfore I assume Merlin's as well) support CIDR notation. It looks the stock firmware doesn't. But as the tooltip says, you can specify wildcard addresses like 111.222.*.* or *.*.*.*.

Okay, I opened up the subnet mask, set my DHCP pool to 192.168.x.* and the static to 192.168.y.*. Then I set up a network services filter to turn off the 192.168.x.* devices. I'm a bit stumped on the Time of Day though. I don't see how to set up an outage period across midnight. It doesn't look like there can be varying times for the Network Services Filter

Okay, I set this up and it seems like the Network Services Filter does nothing. It never blocks service. I have it set up per the screen shot. Any idea what I got wrong?+
1603841636504.png

Strange. Looks like it should work.

Sometimes the router can get confused by daylight savings time. Just in case try setting the black list period to something that definitely covers your current time. So if your local time is currently 21:15 set the time period to 18:00 to 23:59. If that works try 18:00 to 06:00.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!