What's new

Bluetooth USB dongle

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

resetter

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I want to know if its possible to use a USB Bluetooth dongle on an ASUS (RT-AX88U) router particularly with the merlin firmware?
I can see that entware is supported, so would be very useful. Thanks.

Oh, wow! Bluetooth has about 10m range. I would just press the PS4 button. Good luck.

Oh, wow! Bluetooth has about 10m range. I would just press the PS4 button. Good luck.
My BT headphones are able to reach me at the other end of the appartment if I go take a leak while my tablet remains playing in the living room.

I can also use my BT game controller in the living room and reach my PC in on the other side of the wall (I use Gamestream on it to stream to my TV, but I still pair the BT directly to the PC for better latency).

BT range has increased a lot over the years.

Okay, but how far one can be from a game console when actually doing something with it? I don't understand the need of remote booting a device in reach and usually in the same room. Doesn't PS4 already have remote boot from the controller like Xbox?

Okay, but how far one can be from a game console when actually doing something with it? I don't understand the need of remote booting a device in reach and usually in the same room. Doesn't PS4 already have remote boot from the controller like Xbox?
I don`t know about recent consoles, but I remember I could power on my PS3 using my DualShock controller back in the day. No idea what range it had however.

As for doing it using the router, I doubt it. The HCI stack is probably not available on the router's kernel (with the exception of models that use BT for pairing and such like some of the Zen Wifi models), plus the driver and bluez would be required.

I would check to see if network-based WOL is supported by the console, that would be a simpler solution if the goal is to remotely turn it on.

Quick search shows the PS button right in the middle of the controller powers on the console. The same like Xbox.

Yeah, it does. I wanted it for remote play in another room. My original plan was to run this script on my android phone using termux/qpython but this is not workable.
So, I thought maybe I could use the router as an ssh server to run the script, but as mentioned above it likely won't work due to missing kernel drivers.
But oh well, I can just use the ds4 controller to power it up. Thanks for your input.

Can't you boot it with the Playstation app on the android? I think you atleast can start downloads remotely with it, maybe booting works too?
Spotify can start it aswell remotey i guess?

You can 'wake' the ps4 from rest mode via that method, but I want to boot it from powered off, which can only be done over bluetooth.

The power supply is still on. You're saving a bit on the PS4 and using a bit more at the router. This extra USB dongle needs something to eat too, no? Extra USB stick for Entware will need some power as well. You're decreasing the overall reliability for minimum gains in power saving, if any.

You should look up the Bluetooth 5 spec @Tech9 - as @RMerlin has said, it's gotten a lot longer lately, and they even talk about meshing in the whitepaper

I'm trying to figure out if I can run an audio streaming server on the router with a BT dongle in one of the USB ports, but my application is latency-sensitive, so my hopes are rather low to start. Entware has the necessary ALSA and bluez stuff I think...

You should look up the Bluetooth 5 spec @Tech9

We are not focusing on Bluetooth capabilities so much (I also have BT5 headphones with good range), but on the need to remotely wake up a device physically located in the same room as you. On top this same device already has own controller with remote wake up on it. A router, extra USB Bluetooth dongle, extra software (Entware), custom firmware needed (Asuswrt-Merlin), custom script... perhaps I'm missing something here.

but Im enjoying the challenge of trying to figure it out

Got it. You're building a Rube Goldberg Machine. :)

devhumor-oldcode.gif

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!