What's new

Bought AX82U and was having Wireless issues, returned for AX86U and same issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rbk_3

New Around Here
On the 82U, my internet was fine over LAN getting my full 300 Mbps speed at all times but Wireless my speeds would drop to rock bottom (like under 1Mbps) intermittently on both 5ghz and 2.5ghz multiple times a day despite having full Wifi bars even right next to my router. A reboot would fix it for a while.

Returned it and got the 86U and having the same issue except I intermittently have no internet connection at all despite full bars. If I run a speed test to says it cannot connect.
Again over LAN everything is running at full speed when this wifi issue is happening. On this one, a reboot doesn't fix it. I am on the latest Merlin Firmware.

On the 82U, my internet was fine over LAN getting my full 300 Mbps speed at all times but Wireless my speeds would drop to rock bottom (like under 1Mbps) intermittently on both 5ghz and 2.5ghz multiple times a day despite having full Wifi bars even right next to my router. A reboot would fix it for a while.

Returned it and got the 86U and having the same issue except I intermittently have no internet connection at all despite full bars. If I run a speed test to says it cannot connect.
Again over LAN everything is running at full speed when this wifi issue is happening. On this one, a reboot doesn't fix it. I am on the latest Merlin Firmware.
May I recommend you try the Asus firmware. And, leave the WIFI settings at the default to start. Yes, even use the Dual Band SmartConnect. Stay with WPA2-Personal. Use auto channel for both bands and don't enable DFS. You might also look to the clients for problems such as outdated WIFI drivers.

May I recommend you try the Asus firmware. And, leave the WIFI settings at the default to start. Yes, even use the Dual Band SmartConnect. Stay with WPA2-Personal. Use auto channel for both bands and don't enable DFS. You might also look to the clients for problems such as outdated WIFI drivers.

Thanks I will try the latest Asus FW. I was on what ever the stock one was and the QOS wasn't working properly. It wasn't capping my bandwidth. That's why I decided to try the Merlin one which worked great in that regard.

I didn't touch any of the Wifi settings, they were at default all auto. It was working fine for the first 3 or 4 hours.

Two routers and the same issue I would be looking at the WiFi drivers and card.
Happens on all devices though including those without drivers. Iphone, Fire Stick etc, Smart TV

I had absolutely no issues with the wifi on my previous routers TPLink Deco M4 mesh system as well as a Netduma R2.

I will sometimes get this on my iphone on the 86U. This didn't happen on the 82U it would just be really slow, so almost like it is 2 seperate issues

ios15-iphone12-pro-settings-wifi-no-internet-connection.png

Then I would use a different brand for WiFi. Or use what worked before and add an AP for more speed/coverage instead of buying a new router.

The whole no internet connection thing is just a DNS resolver/ping function that's on each device. Grab wifi analyzer and see what the RF is doing to tune things better. Pick a channel that's not in contention with your neighbors for starters. Try using WPA 2 if you set it for WPA 3.

Have you tried changing your DNS to Google? When I first setup my WiFi network, I noticed sluggish browsing. Changing to Googles DNS fixed the issue.

Have you tried changing your DNS to Google? When I first setup my WiFi network, I noticed sluggish browsing. Changing to Googles DNS fixed the issue.

Yes I have as well as Cloudfare. It happened again last night. I think it goes well beyond the DNS.

Thinking of getting another Deco M4 mesh system to use as an access point and just turning off the wifi on this one.

Yes I have as well as Cloudfare. It happened again last night. I think it goes well beyond the DNS.

Thinking of getting another Deco M4 mesh system to use as an access point and just turning off the wifi on this one.
Ditch cloudflare and just use Google. I had terrible performance with cloudflare despite it beating Google in my benchmarks.

@Rbk_3
Are there some informations in the logs of both routers? You could try to reproduce the issue and look at the same time on the logs. May be there might be hint.

Two routers and the same issue seems very odd even when they are on default settings!?!

As mentioned here you should analyze first your surround with a wifi analyzer to be sure that there is no intereference.

If you have a computer and you have the same issue just try to ping over a terminal a ip like 8.8.8.8 if that is working then try namesolving with nslookup or what ever tool you like to find out where is the request going and who is answering - if name solving fails then look at the network configuration of your computer.