What's new

Breaking Newes. Newegg Scandal.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
Last edited:
Where is there a scandal? They messed up, fessed up and dealt with the problem.

That article fails to mention that the original purchase returned unopened was an "open box" purchase to begin with. So all pile-on speculation about Newegg maleficence should have been confined to "open box" sales only, not all Newegg sales.

Sounds like Newegg is addressing flaws in their "open box" handling.

OE

Where is there a scandal? They messed up, fessed up and dealt with the problem.
The problem is that numerous customers have stepped forward to confirm they encountered similar issues to those encountered by Steve. So, it doesn't look like a one-off incident, but a common one.

hat article fails to mention that the original purchase returned unopened was an "open box" purchase to begin with.
That article is indeed poorly written, and misleading at times. People should watch the two videos GN posted on this so far. The short story:

- GN ordered a motherboard from Newegg. They didn't notice at first that they were buying an Open Box.
- While in transit, they resolved the issue that would have required the board
- When the board arrived, they returned it unopened, under Newegg's regular return policy
- When Newegg received the board, they refused the refund, stating there was damage, thermal paste, and bent pins
- They told GN that they were returning it to them, but a few weeks later it still hadn't arrived. Support told him numerous times they would call him back, but they didn't (funny story: they started calling him back after he went public, and Newegg realized this wasn't a regular customer)
- Eventually they finally received the board back, weeks later. They opened it on camera. The box was severely mangled, there were indeed many damaged pins on the socket, and there was a huge RMA sticker on the motherboard.
- GN contacted Gigabyte about that RMA sticker to get more info. Turns out 6 months ago, Newegg sent it for RMA to Gigabyte. Gigabyte said it would cost 100$ to repair it. Newegg refused, so the board was returned to them.

So, Newegg did a number of dubious things, either by multiple mistakes, or out of malice.

- Newegg had a damaged board in their hand back last summer, that they attempted to get repaired, but ultimately declined
- They didn't remove the RMA sticker showing they knew the board was defective
- The board was put back in their inventory to sell as open box, which was purchased in December (months after Newegg had received it back)
- When customer got it and returned it without opening it, they refused to refund it, claiming the customer had damaged it, while it was clearly proven it was ALREADY damaged at the time they sold it. Whoever processed the return from GN should have seen that huge sticker proving the damage existed BEFORE they shipped it to GN

So, what kind of inventory management system:

a) Fails to remove RMA stickers when processing incoming merchandise
b) Puts it back for sale as-is, in a badly damaged box (that's beyond "open box" at that point)
c) On the second return fail to see their own sticker proving the board was already damaged before they sold it, and blame it on the customer instead

That's why it's getting more difficult to blame it on a simple mistake.

Last edited:
That article fails to mention that the original purchase returned unopened was an "open box" purchase to begin with. So all pile-on speculation about Newegg maleficence should have been confined to "open box" sales only, not all Newegg sales.

Sounds like Newegg is addressing flaws in their "open box" handling.

OE
:rolleyes: ???
Why don't you watch the videos?

@RMerlin thanks for that breakdown!

Sadly I don't think this is _that_ unique, they're just really dumb about it.

Recently purchased a Netbook for my wife from Amazon, arrived clearly having been opened, fingerprints on screen and the logo damaged and partially peeled off. Their response was 'would you like a discount'. Obviously, not nearly as blatent, but still sad. If I'm paying for new, I bloody well want new, in the box, never been opened!

The fact that Newegg left the RMA sticker on it :eek:

@RMerlin thanks for that breakdown!

Sadly I don't think this is _that_ unique, they're just really dumb about it.

Recently purchased a Netbook for my wife from Amazon, arrived clearly having been opened, fingerprints on screen and the logo damaged and partially peeled off. Their response was 'would you like a discount'. Obviously, not nearly as blatent, but still sad. If I'm paying for new, I bloody well want new, in the box, never been opened!

The fact that Newegg left the RMA sticker on it :eek:
Amazon usually offers return(full refund), partial refund, discount(credit). You can pick any of those offers. Their response is much better than Newegg. Years ago, I bought some open box devices from Amazon. One of them had a different device in the box. :eek:
I returned it and it was refunded. They also gave me some credits for apology.

Amazon usually offers return(full refund), partial refund, discount(credit). You can pick any of those offers. Their response is much better than Newegg. Years ago, I bought some open box devices from Amazon. One of them had a different device in the box. :eek:
I returned it and it was refunded. They also gave me some credits for apology.
Oh, I got my brand new item. But it sure sounded like it happened a lot...

:rolleyes: ???
Why don't you watch the videos?

I read and commented on your lead article. I don't see anything posted here since that changes the crux of the issue as I saw it then... Newegg mishandling "open box" sales. I'm not impressed by the "scandal" and lead article enough to ferret out more details. This is why.

Do the videos also suggest that the "Chinese" owners are to blame?

OE

FWIW, in cases of dealing w/ relatively expensive items (regardless of vendor), I've now taken to video recording myself opening the item (shipping package and all) and giving it the once over. At least then I have some proof of what I actually received. It's sad it has come to this, but it's so easy for the reseller to claim YOU broke it.

I used to buy all of my electronics from Newegg going back to the early 2000s, and they used to be great. I never had a single issue. However, I stopped using Newegg altogether when they got sold some years ago. The quality as a whole has significantly decreased since, and I don't feel comfortable buying from them anymore.

I still like their filtering system so I go there occasionally for the filter if I'm trying to research a product I'm not too familiar with. Then copy/paste the product to Amazon/bestbuy, which is where I buy everything these days. Fast shipping, reliable, free returns and better customer support (in my experience anyways). Occasionally Costco is great too, but they don't carry much variety of electronics unfortunately.

Oh, I got my brand new item. But it sure sounded like it happened a lot...
Yes. It happens a lot. Sometimes it happens for New items. Bad costumers buy a new item. They changed the new item to used or different items. And then?
Return them. Amazon sells it as a new because it's sealed with original tape. Those bad thieves use a hair dryer or something.
In case of Micro sd card, those thieves buy cheap fake micro sd card. They switched with a new card from Amazon. And then they return it with a fake card.
So some customers may receive Fake Micro sd cards which were returned even if it's 'shipped and sold by Amazon'.
:mad:

Last edited:
I read and commented on your lead article. I don't see anything posted here since that changes the crux of the issue as I saw it then... Newegg mishandling "open box" sales. I'm not impressed by the "scandal" and lead article enough to ferret out more details. This is why.

Do the videos also suggest that the "Chinese" owners are to blame?

OE
Because Newegg has been changed since Chinese company acquired Newegg in 2017. You don't buy many items from Newegg don't you?
Their service is a lot different from old Newegg. Many customers feel it.

I used to buy all of my electronics from Newegg going back to the early 2000s, and they used to be great. I never had a single issue. However, I stopped using Newegg altogether when they got sold some years ago. The quality as a whole has significantly decreased since, and I don't feel comfortable buying from them anymore.

I still like their filtering system so I go there occasionally for the filter if I'm trying to research a product I'm not too familiar with. Then copy/paste the product to Amazon/bestbuy, which is where I buy everything these days. Fast shipping, reliable, free returns and better customer support (in my experience anyways). Occasionally Costco is great too, but they don't carry much variety of electronics unfortunately.
I agree with you. I feel same thing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!