What's new

Bridge or not bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bridging is not switching. Bridging is linking 2 L2 segments together which is different. Bridging is much slower than switching.

It should have been posted over in the ASUS area.

Last edited:
Bridging is not switching. Bridging is linking 2 L2 segments together which is different. Bridging is much slower than switching.

It should have been posted over in the ASUS area.

Please do some googling.

A switch is a multi port bridge.

Switching and bridging are the exact same thing.

I googled.
What does a Layer 2 bridge do?

Layer-2 bridging works by putting one physical and one virtual Ethernet adapter into a mode where they can receive traffic that is not destined for their address. This traffic is selectively sent onto the other network according to the IEEE 802.1D standard, known as, "bridging" the frames.

I googled.
What does a Layer 2 bridge do?

Layer-2 bridging works by putting one physical and one virtual Ethernet adapter into a mode where they can receive traffic that is not destined for their address. This traffic is selectively sent onto the other network according to the IEEE 802.1D standard, known as, "bridging" the frames.

Yup, exactly. Put multiple bridges in the same package, and you have a switch.

In very old days bridges were often used exclusively to connect disparate network types and then hubs were used for the LAN (for cost reasons, bridges with dozens/hundreds of ports weren't feasible), which is where some of the confusion still comes from. A switch is just adding bridging technology to a hub. It can bridge the same type of connection, or different types, that's where SFPs or switches with multiple interface types come into play.

No, a bridge connects two L2 networks together. A switch connects altogether 1 L2 network.

What is the difference between Layer 2 switch and bridge?

Bridge vs. switch comparison: What's the difference? | TechTarget

Bridges connect two networks. Switches connect multiple clients to a network. Bridges operate at Layer 2 of the OSI communication model. Switches operate at Layer 2, the data-link layer, or Layer 3, the network layer.

No, a bridge connects two L2 networks together. A switch connects altogether 1 L2 network.

What is the difference between Layer 2 switch and bridge?

Bridge vs. switch comparison: What's the difference? | TechTarget's the difference? | TechTarget

Bridges connect two networks. Switches connect multiple clients to a network. Bridges operate at Layer 2 of the OSI communication model. Switches operate at Layer 2, the data-link layer, or Layer 3, the network layer.

Keep saying no all you want. Doesn't change the facts. Not arguing it any further, I've been a network engineer for 23 years. You even confirm it right in your post saying they are both layer 2, but whatever.

Keep saying no all you want. Doesn't change the facts. Not arguing it any further, I've been a network engineer for 23 years. You even confirm it right in your post saying they are both layer 2, but whatever.
You can't figure out the difference between 2 L2 networks and one L2 network. I can't help you. Study.

@drinkingbird @coxhaus None of this is relevant to the OP's question. If you two want to argue the differences between a bridge and a switch please do it a private conversation.

There's no difference so nothing to argue :) like I said, I'm done.

It is relevant though as he's saying OP should use dual router/NAT since it performs better than bridging. Obviously not the case.

In case anyone comes here in the future and is confused and cares to learn:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!