What's new

Bridge or not bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Olndo Pindaro

Regular Contributor
Actually I connect internet through a zte mc801a 5g modem in bridge mode in input to Asus rt-ax86s router for wifi.
It works, but when my isp every for hour change my public ip clients lost internet access. Switching to a not bridged Configuration could more speedier the reconfiguration to a new external ip?

Thanks to all
Olindo

Actually I connect internet through a zte mc801a 5g modem in bridge mode in input to Asus rt-ax86s router for wifi.
It works, but when my isp every for hour change my public ip clients lost internet access. Switching to a not bridged Configuration could more speedier the reconfiguration to a new external ip?

Thanks to all
Olindo

There have been other posts here about certain Asus routers having issues with 1 hour lease times. Your router should never (or rarely) lose its IP/Lease, but some of the asus seem to not renew correctly when the ISP lease is 1 hour or less. You can try each of the different DHCP modes on the WAN screen - normal, aggressive, continuous, to see if it works better.

If your ISP is forcing the IP to change every so often, no router is going to "handle" that well, all existing connections will drop and have to re-establish.

There have been other posts here about certain Asus routers having issues with 1 hour lease times. Your router should never (or rarely) lose its IP/Lease, but some of the asus seem to not renew correctly when the ISP lease is 1 hour or less. You can try each of the different DHCP modes on the WAN screen - normal, aggressive, continuous, to see if it works better.

Just note that with 4G/5G Fixed Wireless Access - there is no DHCP lease time - the IP is assigned at the time the device attaches...

If AsusWRT has issues here - well, that's a code change on their side...

Just note that with 4G/5G Fixed Wireless Access - there is no DHCP lease time - the IP is assigned at the time the device attaches...

Infinite lease? I guess if it is using CGNAT the don't really care. Wonder how often the asus renews in that case (or maybe that's the issue). Or maybe the FWA is reconnecting a lot due to poor signal and getting a new IP every time, in which case no router is going to handle that seamlessly.

It is always more efficient to not bridge. Routing is much faster than bridging. In all the networks I have worked on. You end up with too much baggage bridging.

If you want an Asus answer, then post in the ASUS side.

Infinite lease? I guess if it is using CGNAT the don't really care. Wonder how often the asus renews in that case (or maybe that's the issue). Or maybe the FWA is reconnecting a lot due to poor signal and getting a new IP every time, in which case no router is going to handle that seamlessly.

Generally - 4G/5G fixed wireless is what it is...

Whether it's CGNAT or 4X4LAT - how IPv4/IPv6 is handled on the WAN side is going to be carrier dependent..

Even if they are IPv6 native, inbound ports are going to be filtered for most folks...

It is always more efficient to not bridge. Routing is much faster than bridging. In all the networks I have worked on. You end up with too much baggage bridging.

If you want an Asus answer, then post in the ASUS side.

You have that 100% backwards.

Any experience on Asus?

Thanks to all
Olindo

As mentioned in your other thread, if your IP changes, you will lose connectivity briefly with any router. How long is access down for? I suspect your wireless WAN connection may be having outages and not just IP changes.

If your ISP is forcing the IP to change every so often, no router is going to "handle" that well, all existing connections will drop and have to re-establish.
was aggressive i moved now to continue. let try
butta.png

I don't think that's what the OP is talking about here. His ZTE MC801A is a regular 5G router/modem. It runs a DHCP server like any other device you would connect the Asus to. The router doesn't care what's happening on the carrier side, only about the CPE that it's connecting to.

I don't think that's what the OP is talking about here. His ZTE MC801A is a regular 5G router/modem. It runs a DHCP server like any other device you would connect the Asus to. The router doesn't care what's happening on the carrier side, only about the CPE that it's connecting to.

He's running it in bridge mode though.

He's running it in bridge mode though.
But the point is that his device is a regular 5G modem, not FWA. Whether he puts the ZTE in bridge or router mode his ISP is still providing a non-fixed IP address that they change frequently (that's the problem, not that it's infinite). I don't see how this is any different from any of the other LTE/5G modems that people successfully use in bridge mode with Asus routers. I think the comment about FWA is just confusing matters.

But the point is that his device is a regular 5G modem, not FWA. Whether he puts the ZTE in bridge or router mode his ISP is still providing a non-fixed IP address that they change frequently (that's the problem, not that it's infinite). I don't see how this is any different from any of the other LTE/5G modems that people successfully use in bridge mode with Asus routers. I think the comment about FWA is just confusing matters.

So we're back to either ISP using a very short lease time that we've seen Asus have problems with before, or the 5G connection is unstable....

So we're back to either ISP using a very short lease time that we've seen Asus have problems with before, or the 5G connection is unstable....
Because of the language barrier it's difficult to understand what exactly the OP is describing or asking. My interpretation of his OP was just that there was a noticeable delay when the WAN IP changed and he was trying to reduce or eliminate that. That's not the same sort of problem that I think you're alluding to.

Last edited:
You have that 100% backwards.
I don't think so. I have bridged years ago a couple hundred Windows PCs together where there were 300 to 400 PCs and they all slowed down. The bridge was to keep some of the traffic flowing that did not cross layer 3. There was something we were doing which I don't remember now. This was all before 10 gig. There is a lot of baggage with bridging. Maybe not inside a small ASUS router.

I don't think so. I have bridged years ago a couple hundred Windows PCs together where there were 300 to 400 PCs and they all slowed down. The bridge was to keep some of the traffic flowing that did not cross layer 3. There was something we were doing which I don't remember now. This was all before 10 gig. There is a lot of baggage with bridging. Maybe not inside a small ASUS router.

Bridging is just switching, they are one and the same. Far faster and lower overhead than routing, that's the point of L2 and especially L3 switches.

If you put hundreds of clients in the same broadcast domain, yes, you will have a lot of overhead and slowdown, especially if they all share one uplink. That's nothing to do with bridging, that's just network design fundamentals. That's where VLANs and L3 switches/routers come in.

We are talking about a single device here, bridging will be faster and more efficient than routing, especially since routing in this context also means NAT. Of course the difference probably won't be noticable for home use, but it does add some more complexity.

Think of it this way, connect two devices to the Asus LAN ports (bridging). You'll get full 1G throughput with little to no CPU use. Now move one device to the WAN port (routing), you probably won't hit 1G and CPU will be pegged. Latency will also be higher.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!