What's new

Bridging two routers with repeating mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

felixdd

Occasional Visitor
QUESTIONS:
1) In a repeater bridge scenario, is it possible, feasible, advisable, or necessary to have the host router provide the wireless backhaul through a virtual wireless interface (e.g. guest network)
2) In a repeater bridge scenario, is it possible, feasible, or advisable to have the repeater router broadcast a second virtual LAN with the same band and SSID as the backhaul?
3) In a network architecture with a single host and a single repeater, is a repeater setup essentially the same as WDS?

FOR CONTEXT:
Scenario
- Modem upstairs along with host router (AC68U on Merlin...I'm running Diversion adblocker and ASUS ddns so don't want to change this much).
- Ground floor repeater will be DIR880L on DDWRT.
- Ground floor, backyard, frontyard insufficient coverage from either 2.4 or 5GHz bands from host router.
- Single (HTPC) computer on ground floor without wireless capacity (and I want to be able to wake-on-lan) -- hence bridge mode needed.

Plan
- Plan is to set up a "guest" 5GHz WLAN on the ASUS with MAC filtering on and SSID broadcast off -- therfore, the only client that can connect will be DIR880L, and maintain a backhaul through 5GHz AC)
- DIR880L will repeat by 2.4GHz, through its wl0 native radio.
- DIR880L will also repeat a 5GHz through its own virtual interface.

The reason for all this:
- I can't get WDS to work (even though both have essentially identical broadcom CPU and wireless chipset, down to the model)...but on second thought not sure whether a 2 node system really requires WDS.
- This way clients can still use 5GHz AC to connect to host router.
- When signal to 5GHz/5GHz AC to host becomes too weak, clients have the option to switch to 2.4GHz from host/repeater, or 5GHz/5GHz AC from repeater.
- By specifying a separate SSID for backhaul, I avoid the situation where the backhaul and the virtual 5GHz broadcast on the client router would have the same SSID.