What's new

Bring up WAN with Android phone USB tethering when it fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joshf87

New Around Here
I've asked this before and got no responses. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bringing-up-usb-tethering-connection-manually-via-ssh.46170/

I have an RT-AC3100. My current Android phone (7.1.1/Moto Z2 Play) is my primary internet, which sucks I know, I can't get anything else.

I am very heavy on my LAN usage because I have to archive anything I can because re-downloading is not an option. I download large files (drivers, new Windows releases, cumulative updates, anything I can really on my phone during work then transfer/archive to my PCs because the data restrictions are more relaxed downloaded from the phone itself). Many things are unavoidable, for example dumb exe stub installers that require a Windows installation to download yet another exe and refuse to give the location to the direct full file.

I get 4G LTE but after 15GB I am limited to 600kbps on the hotspot, which includes USB tethering. The RT-AC3100 comes in because Android's WiFi Hotspot caps at 65Mbps for WLAN access, wireless printers nor SMB host name resolving work among many other limitations. It's not suitable for a LAN/WLAN replacement. Having the router repeat the phone's WiFi SSID for WAN access is stupidly inefficient.

I really hate having to schedule LAN access to if I am able to access the internet. I can schedule the router to reboot daily at a specified time while at work, but what if I'm not working at that time and don't want it to reboot? Maybe I want a big download to occur at that time or overnight. If the router restarts automatically then I have to manually re-enable USB tethering when I decide to wake up and continue my downloads. It's my phone though, it goes to work with me. I can't download stuff at home if my phone is with me.

Sometimes with reconnecting the phone with USB tethering, the WAN connection will not re-establish. The GUI says I'm connected but the WAN LED is red and my ability to use the internet, non-existent, says otherwise.

I've had better success with 384.6 but still sometimes when I reconnect my phone I still have to power cycle the router to regain internet access. I have a conundrum whether to conclude my LAN transfers or Remote Desktop sessions first then power cycle the router for internet access.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!