What's new

Broadband and Internet Security on 64 bit architecture with XP Pro 64 bit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SSri

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I am buying a HP Workstation (64 bit architecture) that would run on a 64 bit XP Pro OS.

I would like to install a cable broadband at my home in UK. In addtion, I would like to retain the current broadband (i.e. usual telephone line based) as a backup broadband, should anything happen to the cable broadband. I am setting a home based small web business.

Could you please suggest the following that would run on a 64 bit system with 64 bit XP pro?

(1) A suitable cable broadband router (wirless/wired)
(2) A suitable router for (telephone based) broadband
(3) Internet security software.

Many thanks
SSri

Your computer's OS is independent of any router you choose as long as you buy something that had web-based administration, which is pretty much all consumer routers.

Are you looking for automatic failover between the two broadband providers? Then you need a dual-WAN router, not two routers.

What are your broadband speeds?

In regards to the internet software, i've been running Vista 64bit for a while now. Is this a home or office setup? Here's a link to 64bit compatible anti-virus apps

Start64.com article

I've seen that start64.com is a good resource for 64 bit issues in general. Also, any specific reason for chossing XP over Vista? From what I've read (although not experienced), XP Pro 64 never really got the support it needed in terms of software and drivers.

I got a 64-bit XP at home (8GB ram, had to use 64bit, and i dont like DX10 and what it dose to my sound card) so the deal is that XP 64-bit was kinda a rush project that came out so M$ could say they got a 64bit system, most appz shuld work, but firewalls mess with the network card driver so you might get a lot of issues. Your best shot is using a good hardware firewall (use something like IPCop if you want to have it cheap) and if you need it windows firewall, im using only IPCop and dont have problems with anything

Thanks guys.

Automatic failover would be ideal as I do not have to manually change things. Suggestions for a dual WAN router would be appreciated. Please note that one provider offers telephone line based broadband, the other provides cable.

Speed: wired (telephone) is upto 8 meg, cable upto 20 meg (virgin media in UK).

Computer guys I know of, generally recommend XP pro over Vista. They say vista is not as stable as XP pro. If 64 bit system is used, do you guys think Vista 64 bit is better than XP Pro 64 bit? I would appreciate any link to a review of vista vs xp on a 64 bit platform. Would also appreciate recommendation for a good hardware firewall as well (flexible on price).

It is a small firm and I am looking for a typical office setup/system/software in a home environment!

Thanks in advance,
SSri

The different flavors of broadband provider don't matter as long as each of the services' modem has an Ethernet output.
The Linksys RV042 is a popular dual-WAN router.

Thanks guys.

Automatic failover would be ideal as I do not have to manually change things. Suggestions for a dual WAN router would be appreciated. Please note that one provider offers telephone line based broadband, the other provides cable.

Speed: wired (telephone) is upto 8 meg, cable upto 20 meg (virgin media in UK).
Have a look at the Draytek Vigor 2820 series. It's dual one, with one of the WAN's being a DSL connection and the other a regular ethernet connection.

This will be my next router. I've used Draytek in the past and found these routers to be the best and the stablest I've ever used. Incredibly configurable also. Have a look at the 'live web demo' of the software (just follow the link I've provided) and you'll see for yourself.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

I read Linksys RV042 review. I like the review of this product. I have heard a lot about Draytek Vigor. Although it is a little pricey, I like the wireless capability of this wan router. But encryption is only WEP.

SSri