What's new

BT Full Fibre 900 Asus AX8 Wi-Fi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steven0161

New Around Here
Hi

We have recently upgraded the BT package from 500mbps to the full fibre 900. When using LAN speeds they are fine however over Wi-Fi it doesn’t go above 650 mbps. I have the three Wi-Fi bands separate and have enabled 160mhz on the 5ghz-2 We only have 1 XT8.

I have tried the MacBook pro and iPhone 14 next to the the ASUS but the speeds max out the same. I’ve checked the MTU and it’s 1492 which matches when doing tests and am using the latest Merlin firmware Version : 388.1-gnuton1 with a clean install.

Also tried windows surface PC and a Samsung phone but mainly getting the same wifi speed. QOS and AI are off and have disabled universal beam forming and enabled dl/ul ofdma + mu-mimo but still no joy.

Any suggestions or tweaks to improve the Wi-Fi speeds would be appreciated as debating going back to the 500mbps?
wpml_unsure.gif

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 18.53.37.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 18.53.37.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 18.54.19.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 18.54.19.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 44
If you've multiple devices online at the same time you may struggle to get full speed at a single device while other devices are in use (40ish devices here). Fastest WiFi device here at the moment is my Poco F3, 7pm and it'll hit 650Mbps, same test at 2am and it'll hit 800Mbps. Test on the router directly and my BT 900FTTP gives 934/103.

If you've multiple devices online at the same time you may struggle to get full speed at a single device while other devices are in use (40ish devices here). Fastest WiFi device here at the moment is my Poco F3, 7pm and it'll hit 650Mbps, same test at 2am and it'll hit 800Mbps. Test on the router directly and my BT 900FTTP gives 934/103.We don't have that many devices but a fair few and the 5ghz-2 is only MacBook/iPhone and my works surface to test. I tested on LAN with fireprobe and Nperf both get about 920/110 and sat next to the AX8 on wifi its 620/110. I even tried turning off the two other bands to test just 5ghz-2 and didn't make any difference.
We don't have that many devices. when testing directly via LAN we get 920/110 but sat next to the ASUS on 5GHZ-2. it's about 620/110. even tried turning off the other bands so only 4 devices connected but didn't make any difference tbh.

I found the settings a bit bewildering as wasn't sure if any settings would improve the speed or maybe I have high expectations 😂

Set the wireless mode to auto. Reboot, test.

650mbps sounds about right for 2x2 clients.
You can check the speed clients are connecting. Pick and test the one that connects to higher than 866mbps.
My laptop is not having an AX adapter. I'm still waiting for one that will also have 6GHz. But I tested a laptop with AX and 6GHz and reaching 1G was extremely easy. Likely it would go even higher but I don't have anything wired to more than 1G.

The Poco F3 is 2x2 AX, so the link rate is supposed to be about 1200. I've previously tested and across the LAN (perf), it'll manage 900Mbps (from memory), but hitting the internet in the dead of night it'll get up to 800ish Mbps, but less when there are more active devices and people about.
*I don't have any issues with this, it's in the ballpark of what I expected. I only went with BTs 900/100 quoted, 934/103 actual FTTP because it was £31/month and I get a year of XBox Game Pass Ultimate included in that price! My previous ISP Vodafone could only manage an upgrade to 500Mbps FTTP for £48/month - what would you do! The big noticeable difference is that with the connection as fully loaded as I can get it, the latency hardly rises at all! Laptops & tablets here are a mixed bunch, and nothing is performing worse than I would have expected so I'm happy with that - but I hope I keep my expectations real!

The Poco F3 is 2x2 AX, so the link rate is supposed to be about 1200. I've previously tested and across the LAN (perf), it'll manage 900Mbps (from memory), but hitting the internet in the dead of night it'll get up to 800ish Mbps, but less when there are more active devices and people about.
*I don't have any issues with this, it's in the ballpark of what I expected. I only went with BTs 900/100 quoted, 934/103 actual FTTP because it was £31/month and I get a year of XBox Game Pass Ultimate included in that price! My previous ISP Vodafone could only manage an upgrade to 500Mbps FTTP for £48/month - what would you do! The big noticeable difference is that with the connection as fully loaded as I can get it, the latency hardly rises at all! Laptops & tablets here are a mixed bunch, and nothing is performing worse than I would have expected so I'm happy with that - but I hope I keep my expectations real!
Where did you get £31 for 900?

650mbps sounds about right for 2x2 clients.
You can check the speed clients are connecting. Pick and test the one that connects to higher than 866mbps.
My laptop is not having an AX adapter. I'm still waiting for one that will also have 6GHz. But I tested a laptop with AX and 6GHz and reaching 1G was extremely easy. Likely it would go even higher but I don't have anything wired to more than 1G.

650 would be right for 2x2 AC (well a tad high, probably 500-600). AX theoretically 800 to 900 if there is available spectrum.

Hi

We have recently upgraded the BT package from 500mbps to the full fibre 900. When using LAN speeds they are fine however over Wi-Fi it doesn’t go above 650 mbps. I have the three Wi-Fi bands separate and have enabled 160mhz on the 5ghz-2 We only have 1 XT8.

I have tried the MacBook pro and iPhone 14 next to the the ASUS but the speeds max out the same. I’ve checked the MTU and it’s 1492 which matches when doing tests and am using the latest Merlin firmware Version : 388.1-gnuton1 with a clean install.

Also tried windows surface PC and a Samsung phone but mainly getting the same wifi speed. QOS and AI are off and have disabled universal beam forming and enabled dl/ul ofdma + mu-mimo but still no joy.

Any suggestions or tweaks to improve the Wi-Fi speeds would be appreciated as debating going back to the 500mbps?
wpml_unsure.gif

Thanks

Since you're set to AX only I'm assuming your devices all support AX? You should be able to get 800 to 900 meg (in theory). Try dropping your channel to 80mhz and uncheck DFS. I think in the UK you only have one 80mhz non-DFS channel, so everyone is probably using that and that will limit you somewhat. 160 often causes more problems than it solves as it overlaps with DFS no matter what and is prone to a lot of interference. You can also try 80mhz DFS channels, but be aware if there is radar in your area, that can knock you offline for several minutes sometimes, and cause a lot of interference.

We don't have that many devices. when testing directly via LAN we get 920/110 but sat next to the ASUS on 5GHZ-2. it's about 620/110. even tried turning off the other bands so only 4 devices connected but didn't make any difference tbh.

I found the settings a bit bewildering as wasn't sure if any settings would improve the speed or maybe I have high expectations 😂

You have universal beamforming disabled so that is good. You can try MU-MIMO enabled and disabled, probably won't make much difference though.

Are you also trying to run 160 on 5ghz-1? If so that's really shooting yourself in the foot. Go with 80 on both, and the one you want to have better performance/reliability, choose the non-DFS channel, and the other let it use DFS (not really any choice unless you want to drop them both to 40mhz).

You may find you get the best performance by only having one 5ghz radio enabled and letting it do both AC and AX at 80mhz. The second 5ghz is really there for aimesh backhaul mostly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!