What's new

Budget AX Router under £60 / $80

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would take a new RT-AC86U for £65. Make sure it's new and not used with original box preserved. This model has some common issues indeed and is facing End-of-Life, but at least better than what you were looking at previously. When it works - excellent performer, one of the best in AC-class.

The RT-AC86Us have been reliable for me and my customers since they were available. However, I don't think it is worth anything today (even a brand-new, in-box, example).

This router was the king of AC-class hardware. Until the entry-level RT-AX68U came along.

Note that a single RT-AX68U was more performant, had more throughput, and lower latency than the pair of 2x RT-AC86Us it replaced. (Even if the customer insisted on a 2x RT-AX68U set up in the end).

Even for use as a mere Media Bridge today, AX class routers easily surpass it. Newer RF designs/implementations, newer SDKs, newer hardware. These all add up to making even the 'kings' of their domain seem less after a few short years pass, in the tech space.

I wouldn't buy it.

I would take a new RT-AC86U for £65. Make sure it's new and not used with original box preserved. This model has some common issues indeed and is facing End-of-Life, but at least better than what you were looking at previously. When it works - excellent performer, one of the best in AC-class.
Tech9, there’s no guarantee that it will last at least a month.
I still think the Tp Link C2600 with open-wrt is a better bet performance and longevity wise, compared to the RT-AC86U.
Can I ask if the date of manufacture of the RT-86U’s reduces the risk of a hardware failure?
The RT-AC86Us have been reliable for me and my customers since they were available. However, I don't think it is worth anything today (even a brand-new, in-box, example).

This router was the king of AC-class hardware. Until the entry-level RT-AX68U came along.

Note that a single RT-AX68U was more performant, had more throughput, and lower latency than the pair of 2x RT-AC86Us it replaced. (Even if the customer insisted on a 2x RT-AX68U set up in the end).

Even for use as a mere Media Bridge today, AX class routers easily surpass it. Newer RF designs/implementations, newer SDKs, newer hardware. These all add up to making even the 'kings' of their domain seem less after a few short years pass, in the tech space.

I wouldn't buy it.
Thank you. Does the RT-AX68U have better throughput on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz than the AC86U for AC clients ?.

Yes, that link I provided was (also) with AC clients connecting. The network improvement is substantial for that customer.

I still think the Tp Link C2600 with open-wrt is a better bet performance and longevity wise, compared to the RT-AC86U.

Erm - no... on the performance side at least...

And I'm in the QCA/OpenWRT community...

Tech9, there’s no guarantee that it will last at least a month.

The routers with issues were manufactured around 2018. If this router is new and from let's say 2020 - go for it. As I said very good Wi-Fi performer and good ARMv8 + AES CPU. It can do about 600Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client and about 200Mbps on OpenVPN. The price is right.

Does the RT-AX68U have better throughput on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz than the AC86U for AC clients ?

No, skip this model. The same CPU/RAM as RT-AC86U and also facing EoL soon. Was never popular due to history of Wi-Fi connectivity issues and firmware delays. Often on liquidation price or simply unavailable. It was replaced by multiple different hardware platform AX3000/AX5400 devices.

Last edited: