What's new

Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H AirStation High Power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router &

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T

thetoad30

I was very interested in the fact that you, too, were having issues regarding DD-WRT.

I'm glad finally someone else had the courage to say what I've always thought - and said - on their forums:

"...the confusing and poorly documented DD-WRT GUI..."

This is now DD-WRT to a tee. They have grown so big they've lost their roots, and don't care anymore about the end user. I remember using it back in the day with my WRT54G. It was solid, had lots of support in the forums, and was an asset. Nowadays, the builds crash, have poor performance, and the forums are extremely hostile with "experts" that expect you to read documentation on the web that has nothing to do with how DD-WRT implements it's GUI version. Instead they send you to MAN pages for command-line code - which completely battles the GUI implementation depending on what's selected and used.

I'm very fed up with DD-WRT the past 6-12 months or so - and the only reason I use it these days is because of the fact that I set static IPs for the DHCP server to use. It's easy to copy-paste the configs (after I figured out, by myself) so that you don't have to spend hours retyping it all into the GUI.

Anyway, my rant over. Not that it's good, but it's nice to see I wasn't the only one having issues with the firmware.

Thanks, toad. There are plenty of routers that let you reserve IP addresses in the DHCP server.

what do they mean by high power?

Is this a 50mw router like all the others or something else?

There are plenty of routers that let you reserve IP addresses in the DHCP server.

Yes, I understand this. What I was saying was that between vendors, and even between vendor's own products, there is nothing standard with that list. So, if you get a new router, or update firmware regularly, then the list disappears and you have to start all over again. It's time consuming at best, and keeps a network down at worst.

With DD-WRT, the one thing I like, is that regardless of router or firmware version, if you're lucky enough to be able to figure out the command-line features (which is against the point of DD-WRT's GUI) then you can port that DHCP list from router to router and version to version.

I wish there was some kind of agreement between router manufacturers to get a standard of features that are portable between units to save time for us more "pro"-sumers.

In my experience the best use for DD-WRT firmware is to allow me to use older spare routers to do other new things. It's very handy to use to make a wireless client, a repeater bridge etc and it's quite reliable. With this in mind, why would a manufacturer ship a new product with DD-WRT? That seems to make no real sense to me or am I missing something?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!