What's new

Buffer Bloat what can I change in router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marvin Gage

Occasional Visitor
I have really bad Buffer Bloat for uploads. I enabled FQL that has helped some with download but the upload is still bad. Is their settings that I can use in Merlin Router to help alleviate the bloat?

Keep reducing your QoS upload bandwidth setting until you make a dent in bufferbloat.

Thanks both for the advice. I'll start lowering my upload until it makes a dent in it. Reduced upload from default of 10MB to 9MB and got an A rating on Bufferbloat.

Flash RMerlin 384.16_0 release final and without even using a USB drive attached to the router, you can install the following scripts.
  • FreshJR QOS
  • YazFi
  • scMerlin
:) :) :)

With a USB drive, you can have Diversion (adblocker), Skynet (enhanced firewall) and unbound_manager too which together should speed up your network to the rest of the world by only downloading content, blocking the bad guys and making your router the authoritative DNS server and also caching your browsing too. :)

All with the built into the firmware amtm 'menu' for supported scripts by @thelonelycoder. :)

https://diversion.ch/amtm.html

For help on getting the USB drive properly setup, the following guide can be used (just ignore the part about installing amtm with RMerlin 384.15_0 and later).

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

Keep in mind that it's not only the router that plays in this but also the modem. Back in the days I had really bad bufferbloat, until I swapped my modem for another one due to a speed upgrade. Since then, my bufferbloat has miraculously gone