What's new

BUG: Adaptive QoS interfering with NAT Loopback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Iago

New Around Here
Don't know if this has been brought up already or not, but I've found that enabling adaptive QoS renders NAT loopback inoperable.

Running the latest: Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 on RT-AC87R.

Switching to traditional QoS fixes the issue with NAT loopback.

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been brought up already or not, but I've found that enabling adaptive QoS renders NAT loopback inoperable.

Running the latest: Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 on RT-AC87R.

Switching to traditional QoS fixes the issue with NAT loopback.

Yeah, there's two threads talking about it (both NAT loopback and port forwarding) issues.

Asus's own NAT loopback works a bit better, but it will still randomly fail to work. I emailed Asus about it to see if they knew about it, but didn't get any response yet.

Flashed the latest on my AC87R yesterday. Loopback initially worked, then it suddenly stopped. QOS not enabled. Rebooted router, no go. Restarted firewall and it started working. Weird, since one would expect a reboot to do the same. Logged out of the router, checked a few hours later, loopback still working. Woke up this morning, checked again, loopback dead again. Port forwarding still working as expected.

I understand from all threads loopback is a bit flaky. Bummer, because it's something I really need, since I'm trying to phase out an Astaro firewall in my network.

Any chance this will be fixed soon?

BTW, great firmware :)

Just wanted to add, and I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else in the forums, but after further investigation, NAT loopback bug is not feature dependent, but rather hardware dependent. Hardware acceleration must be disabled for the NAT loopback to function properly. Albeit, changing some features, might enable it temporarily, it will stop working eventually, unless hardware acceleration is disabled, and one way it can be accomplished is by enabling traditional QoS, which disables onboard HW acceleration, this in term, enables error free NAT loopback. This is indeed a big deal, as I have several applications on various devices that rely on NAT loopback functionality, and having HW acceleration disabled on a $300 router is unfortunate. Needless to say, I went with this router for features, and I come away unimpressed; I had no issues with Apple's Airport products, and perhaps I made a mistake in switching... Oh well, we'll give Asus another month or two to resolve these issues, otherwise I'll have to go back to tried and true.

Just wanted to add, and I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else in the forums, but after further investigation, NAT loopback bug is not feature dependent, but rather hardware dependent. Hardware acceleration must be disabled for the NAT loopback to function properly.

That's not the actual reason. Right now I have both CTF and Flow Acceleration enabled, and the NAT loopback is currently working fine for me. Something else is causing the issues.

According to other threads, disable/enable firewall solves it (temporarily). And for me it works every time indeed. So I looked everywhere, but I can't find how to do this by CLI. Otherwise I would cron a restart every few hours.

Does anyone know how to restart the firewall in CLI?

According to other threads, disable/enable firewall solves it (temporarily). And for me it works every time indeed. So I looked everywhere, but I can't find how to do this by CLI. Otherwise I would cron a restart every few hours.

Does anyone know how to restart the firewall in CLI?

Code:
service restart_firewall

Hello, I revive this thread because I want to know if there is any update on this situation. In my case, with my new AC68U with 350.59 RMerlin´s, the situation still persists, adaptive QOS disables NAT loopback. Is there a way to have both available?

Thank you.
Hallux

Hello, I revive this thread because I want to know if there is any update on this situation. In my case, with my new AC68U with 350.59 RMerlin´s, the situation still persists, adaptive QOS disables NAT loopback. Is there a way to have both available?

Thank you.
Hallux

Switch to Asus's loopback mode.

Thanks, that worked beautifully, would you mind telling me what I am missing by using Asus loopback vs yours?

I've seen a few special cases where Asus's loopback might create issues. Back in the day for instance, I had a mobile device that was unable to properly wirelessly sync with a server application running on my wired desktop.