What's new

Building a Wifi 6 Mesh network with camera system for a 100mx8m house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nhandumuc

New Around Here
Hi SNB,
I'm rebuilding my entire house wifi network which still using old routers, my problems for scrapping it and doing it all over again:

So many interferences from neighbours' wifi networks, they make my wifi connections very unstable.
I've been upgrading to new devices with latest wifi support like MacBook Pros, iPad pros with the latest wifi specs and want to utilize the speed.
My camera system under the old wifi is getting very slow to record and playback, I'm thinking of switching to Sysnology system for cam system.
I have a large house with 2 floors, around 100mêters x 8 mêters with many walls in between.

I'm eyeing on Asus RT-86AX but not sure where to place them and how many of them do I need.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums @nhandumuc.

100 metre long home? And only 8 metres wide?

What are the construction materials?

Sensibly it must surely have only the supporting external walls and maybe some pillars with everything else being partition walls.
*Fully understanding that buildings and sensibility don't always go hand in hand!

I have a large house with 2 floors, around 100mêters x 8 mêters with many walls in between.

We call this type of building a Motel around here. :)

How many APs do you need? Place one somewhere in the middle and see how many rooms left and right get a good signal. When the signal from clients is at -75dBm level - time for another AP few rooms down the hall. I guess, you'll need 3x, depending on internal walls/floors materials.

Hi,
There is a long 30m hall, then 20cm brick walls between rooms from there, ưwithârrohnd
The ISP modem will be at the mid section of the house, around 40m from the front, and from there I will direct the wifi for the whole home.

We call this type of building a Motel around here. :)

How many APs do you need? Place one somewhere in the middle and see how many rooms left and right get a good signal. When the signal from clients is at -75dBm level - time for another AP few rooms down the hall. I guess, you'll need 3x, depending on internal walls/floors materials.
Haha, it's called commie house, I'm not sure yet, how do I detect the signal level you are talking about? I'm calculating that I need at least 5 to cover the house wirelessly, I want to do it the old way with wiring between APs, but that would mean drilling holes in the wall, which I don't like.

Sensibly it must surely have only the supporting external walls and maybe some pillars with everything else being partition walls.
*Fully understanding that buildings and sensibility don't always go hand in hand!
Yes very hard to calculate to make this MESH network. Maybe I will try placing and testing each point till I get what I want?

this MESH network

Asus AiMesh is more marketing name and less real mesh network. It's wireless repeaters or wired access points with somewhat central management with limited control. If you go wireless backhaul with dual-band routers, the throughput to the first hop is 1/2, to the second 1/4. Exactly the same like you have placed wireless repeaters around the house. The reliability will be about the same as well. Is this what do you want or expect? In your case I would start thinking about Ethernet wires tomorrow and start ordering Omada or UniFi gear for my new Wi-Fi system, skipping entirely consumer routers.

Asus AiMesh is more marketing name and less real mesh network. It's wireless repeaters or wired access points with somewhat central management with limited control. If you go wireless backhaul with dual-band routers, the throughput to the first hop is 1/2, to the second 1/4. Exactly the same like you have placed wireless repeaters around the house. The reliability will be about the same as well. Is this what do you want or expect? In your case I would start thinking about Ethernet wires tomorrow and start ordering Omada or UniFi gear for my new Wi-Fi system, skipping entirely consumer routers.
So In the end I have to use wired network to maintain speed throughout the house? If so which AP you suggest for me at each point for maximize wifi speed? I guess 10Gbs wired should be enough for long routing? My old ethernet routing is 100mbs but the problem is they are inside the wall, no way I could change them.

So In the end I have to use wired network to maintain speed throughout the house?

For both speed and reliability. Is this idea applicable in your case?

If so which AP you suggest

What speeds do you expect to get to wireless clients?

Whether you use the AiMesh method (which will allow Guest Network 1 to be propagated throughout the home), or the AP method, with that many potential routers required, wired is definitely preferable vs. wireless backhaul which may bring your ISP supplied speeds down to 1/16th, 1/32nd of that max when all nodes are busy (in wireless backhaul mode), or worse.

Spend the money in wiring up front instead.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!