What's new

Buying A NAS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john32073

New Around Here
I am looking to buy a NAS Server. This will be my first NAS Server,
I am going to use it for my cloud service and for TV media (cutting the cord)
I want to backup all my files, video, & pictures, and all the cell phones in my family so the can connect remotely over the internet back up stuff on their,
I do not Think I will be working on files directly on the NAS only Storing files their the Updating them Pulling them back to my computer to edit make changes the sending back to the server.
I am to use it a lot for TV media, streaming I am Looking at these Ready made units, I am going to use RAID 1 and 4TB hard drives on 2 Bays

Synology 2 Bay DS216J NAS Diskstation
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BNPT1EG/?tag=snbforums-20
I see this has 512MB memory That worries me is it seems like it is not enough much memory

Synology 2 Bay DS218J NAS Diskstation Is about the same

Next is QNAP TS 231p-US
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N78FRVZ/?tag=snbforums-20

This on has 1GB of memory I like that, and the price More memory that the Synology ds216J and ds218J have

But then I noticed that the
QNAP TS 251 Has a faster CPU and supports Media Transcoding
Media Transcoding something I need for that will help streaming TV ?
Then this one
QNAP TS 251A

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JHHGJJ2/?tag=snbforums-20

This one has a HDMI port on front
What is the HDMI port used for Plug directly to TV ? Hope so
It has 2GB memory It is upgradeable also?

What do you think is the best for a just a home NAS cloud box?
I am new at this NAS Server stuff
Thanks for your time reading this

Your thought will be helpful

Synology and QNAP have great presales teams - discuss with them.

Both vendors have good solutions

Don't sweat memory size too much. That matters more when multiple users are accessing small files. Doesn't help for streaming.

If you choose a NAS with HDMI output AND can locate it next to your TV, then you don't need to worry about streaming.You'll use the NAS as a video player using apps loaded on the NAS.

Don't sweat memory size too much. That matters more when multiple users are accessing small files. Doesn't help for streaming.

I would be worried about any model with only 512 MB however, as that doesn't leave much for caching, or even for the software running on it either. Might also be problematic if you needed to run a filesystem check on any sizable array (probably won't have enough RAM to do a filesystem check on anything larger than 2-3 TB), or for future operating systems updates.

IMHO 1 GB should be the bare minimum for a NAS. If one intends to have a 6+TB array, I would recommend 2 GB.

This one has a HDMI port on front
What is the HDMI port used for Plug directly to TV ? Hope so

That's correct. These NAS can run various applications (they even used to run Kodi, but most vendors had to recently drop support due to a licensing complain from Dolby). I used an Asustor NAS myself as my HTPC until last spring.

Media Transcoding something I need for that will help streaming TV ?

Transcoding isn't as important today than it was a few years ago. Most devices will play all the major media formats these days. Transcoding was helpful back when we had medias in a lot of various exotic formats, and media streamers like the WDTV Live were rather limited in their supported codecs.

It might be handy if you have a lot of large format DVD or BD rips and want to stream them to a smartphone perhaps.

What do you think is the best for a just a home NAS cloud box?

QNAP and Synology are both excellent, people tend to chose one or the other based on just personal preferences. I would recommend having a look at their interfaces to see if one appeals more to you than the other. Both have excellent hardware, fairly good support, and are actively kept up to date. Personally I went with Asustor for price reasons, otherwise QNAP would have been my choice.

Last edited: