What's new

Bypassing DNS filtering (Parental Controls). Is it normal I have to bypass on both my 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rockstead

Occasional Visitor
So I have DNS filtering so I can prevent kids and guests from surfing x-rated sites.

When I use the bypass filtering so that my wireless device can bypass filtering on this same page, I didn’t realize at first but I needed to bypass both my Mac addresses (2.4 & 5) in two separate entries.

Is there a more simplified way of doing this so that I don’t have two use two entries?

Also I noticed that in order for the filtering to reflect on my device, I have to disconnect/reconnect to my wireless network, is that normal?

I would say this is normal. How else would it work?

Apple devices will generate a random MAC per SSID in the latest releases (Private addresses). But once done it should be persistent. But yes, this is the new reality.

Disconnecting and reconnecting might be flushing the device’s DNS cache of the original IP responses.

Apple devices will generate a random MAC per SSID in the latest releases (Private addresses). But once done it should be persistent. But yes, this is the new reality.

Disconnecting and reconnecting might be flushing the device’s DNS cache of the original IP responses.
I like on my samsung, I can choose if it changes per network I am connected.;)

Okay thank you, so I’m not crazy! I never had to do this in the past, and then I started doubting myself if it was always like this, thanks for confirming it’s due to an Apple change.