What's new

Bypassing Google DNS on Android

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
Hi,
running latest Asuswrt Merlin on my 86u and a pihole, most of what i wanted is accomplished, however i have some issues when using VPN and pihole. even if i push dhcp-option dns, Google DNS is taking over on my galaxy S9+, i tried using other VPNs clients and same resuly, looks like Android has hard coded google DNS. There's a private DNS now on ANdroid 9 but i can't put an internal IP as my prefered DNS. Any solution to this?

Disable Private DNS. That totally bypasses regular DNS, by using DNS over TLS.

The only way to bypass hardcoded DNS servers is through DNSFilter.

i did that by adding custom dns under dnsfilter as the pihole ip address for my Android client, yet its still not going through the pihole /

done!!! all i had to do after dnsfilter was disabling: advertise dns to clients now all is working

Last edited:
Disable Private DNS. That totally bypasses regular DNS, by using DNS over TLS.

The only way to bypass hardcoded DNS servers is through DNSFilter.
If you are using DoT, you just just set the DNSFilter to Router?

Last edited:
If you are using DoT, you just just set the DNSFilter to Router?

Correct. It should take care of things like the Android Netflix client which has 8.8.8.8 hardcoded.

It might break some of these same applications however if they are no longer able to properly detect your region, so be sure to keep an eye for any new issue.

Correct. It should take care of things like the Android Netflix client which has 8.8.8.8 hardcoded.

It might break some of these same applications however if they are no longer able to properly detect your region, so be sure to keep an eye for any new issue.
Great. I use Diversion as well I assume everything will still function accordingly. I’ll test and see.

Thanks for the reply.