What's new

Cable Haunt Security vulnerabilty select modems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I do get a web page on 192.168.100.1, but none of the default username/passwords from the script work.

(and I have no clue which one would...)
Maybe a google search for " <Cable Modem Brand/Model> Default password" would produce a default user name and password. Also some Modems might offer the default user/password on the label plate underneath/behind the Modem itself (mine does--which I had immediately changed).

I just added an ACL to my Cisco RV340 router to block IP 192.168.100.1.

Thanks for the heads up. I was down in Mexico when all this came up so I missed it.

@coxhaus, what is special about that IP that you need to block it?

IP 192.168.100.1 is the cable modem stat page on the SB8200 modem that is being hacked with your post. If you can't access it you can't hack it.

I am responding to what you posted. I guess you read the tom's hardware post?

I guess I could of blocked 192.168.100.1:8080 but I saw no reason to block at that low level. If I block the IP it will get all ports.

Last edited:
@coxhaus, thanks, and of course I've read the post. :)

But I just assumed that you were running enterprise gear from top to bottom in your home. :D

I don't think Cisco makes modems any more. I bought an Arris SB8200 modem back when they were on top.

Cisco small business gear is not enterprise level. Cisco makes very good enterprise gear but it is very expensive. The Cisco small business gear is a step above the consumer level gear.

I tried to access 192.168.100.1:8080 on my SB6183 on Comcast and it is no longer accessible. In fact there were reports a month ago or so on their forums of people complaining the spectrum analyzer wasn’t accessible anymore. I wonder if they blocked it with an update.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!