What's new

CakeQOS Cake-autorate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes cake-autorate has been stable for quite a while now. And it really works on Asus Merlin - see these stats based on a log file generated by @rlj2 on Asus Merlin using a Starlink connection:
Code:
ReflectorID: 1.0.0.1; N: 120
ReflectorID: 156.154.70.3; N: 118
ReflectorID: 185.228.168.10; N: 119
ReflectorID: 94.140.14.140; N: 120
ReflectorID: 94.140.14.141; N: 123
ReflectorID: 94.140.14.15; N: 123
DL: maximum 95.000%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 16.710 ms.
DL: maximum 99.000%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 39.775 ms.
DL: maximum 99.500%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
DL: maximum 99.900%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
DL: maximum 99.950%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
DL: maximum 99.990%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
DL: maximum 99.999%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
UL: maximum 95.000%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 16.710 ms.
UL: maximum 99.000%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 39.775 ms.
UL: maximum 99.500%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
UL: maximum 99.900%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
UL: maximum 99.950%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
UL: maximum 99.990%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
UL: maximum 99.999%-ile delta delay over all 6 reflectors: 49.995 ms.
See attachment to this post and more plots here:

cake-autorate for sure works well for 4G and 5G variable rate connections, but the Starlink case is not certain at the moment - we do not have much data from Starlink connections and I have a feeling that Starlink are actively working on the latency issue. So more testing is needed for Starlink specifically.

A goal now is to extend the installer script of cake-autorate to include an option for installing on Asus Merlin routers. Looks like this should be fairly straightforward.

Attachments

• output.timecourse.pdf
    435.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
cake-autorate for sure works well for 4G and 5G variable rate connections, but the Starlink case is not certain at the moment - we do not have much data from Starlink connections and I have a feeling that Starlink are actively working on the latency issue. So more testing is needed for Starlink specifically.

Compared to 5G-FWA where both the cells and access terminals are static - starlink cells have variable latency as the birds fly overhead and handoff from one to another - so it adds another dimension...

Starlink does a good job of hiding that variable, but they can only do so much to mask that from the clients on the other side of the dish...

Yes true - we identified switching times at 15 second intervals as per: XX:12, XX:27, XX:42 and XX:57 - see discussion around here:
I put in some experimental code in cake-autorate to try to address that:
And initial results seemed positive:
But a lot more testing is needed. I think an issue is that things work well enough with or without the experimental switching compensation.
If any Asus Merlin users with Starlink connections would like to test, we would really appreciate the data and feedback.

Last edited:
Hey @Lynx

I'm currently trying to install this on my RT-AC86U, but i'm totally clueless and new to this.

Can anyone guide me on how to install these files?

Is it through USB in the router?

Thanks for any help!

Use Putty on your computer. Enable ssh on the router.

Use Putty on your computer. Enable ssh on the router.

Hi there,

So basically i've installed the files to jffs/ scripts, right clicked each of them and enabled the X on permissions section? Is that right?

I'm not sure what "requires entware, bash iputils-ping fping installed" refers to.

How do I know it's installed properly, do I need to run the scripts through the router?

Apologies for any frustration but I am totally clueless with this stuff.

I need to start from the beginning here. Am I following the original install of auto rate then pasting the asus files over them?

Hi there,

So basically i've installed the files to jffs/ scripts, right clicked each of them and enabled the X on permissions section? Is that right?

I'm not sure what "requires entware, bash iputils-ping fping installed" refers to.

How do I know it's installed properly, do I need to run the scripts through the router?

Apologies for any frustration but I am totally clueless with this stuff.
you need to run these commands with ssh (putty)..
opkg install bash
opkg install iputils-ping
opkg install fping
opkg install git
opkg install git-http
git clone https://github.com/LiveWire1968/Asus-cake-autorate.git
cd Asus-cake-autorate, chmod +x *
cp * /jffs/scripts
echo /jffs/scripts/launcher.sh >> /jffs/scripts/post-mount

Then edit /jffs/scripts/config.primary.sh for changes.

Last edited:
echo /jffs/scripts/launcher.sh >> /jffs/scripts/service-event
What is the purpose of relaunching your script on ANY service event? Seems like overkill. What does it really depend on?

What is the purpose of relaunching your script on ANY service event? Seems like overkill. What does it really depend on?
i just looked again, it will not start from services-start for some reason. post-mount maybe?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!