What's new

CAKE compared to OpenWrt version?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mokodi

Occasional Visitor
I switched from an AC68u to a router running OpenWrt years ago because it did not support CAKE. I see the newer AX Asus routers are running a newer kernel version with native support.

Is this as good as the one in OpenWrt now? Anyone have experiences comparing them?

OpenWrt with sqm-scripts is pretty darn good. But just like its caveats about not being compatible with software flow offloading in the firewall, there are similar caveats on Merlin. To enable CAKE as the QoS qdisc, hardware acceleration must be disabled. So your maximum bandwidth will be limited by the router’s CPU performance.

There is a CAKE Addon for Merlin that helps with customization, much like Luci-app-sqm.

The Asus Linux kernels are still far behind OpenWrt, so it may be missing later optimizations, but probably not noticeable.

I switched from an AC68u to a router running OpenWrt years ago because it did not support CAKE. I see the newer AX Asus routers are running a newer kernel version with native support.

Is this as good as the one in OpenWrt now? Anyone have experiences comparing them?

I have 2 RT-AC68U.
I started using OpenWrt 2 years ago in a GL.iNet GL-MV1000(Brume). Then I installed it in my older Mikrotik RB750Gr3 that I have since 2016. It's only recently, a few months ago, that I started using Cake. I was so impressed that I installed FreshTomato in my RT-AC68U (because it supports Cake). These 3 routers with Cake allow me to have high upload constantly while also having full speed download immadiately when necessary (on VDSL 23/3 mbps). The main difference is that RT-AC68U has a higher CPU load than the 2 other routers (about 60 % while high upload and download).

I have an ac86u and was using cake but noticed some issues. For example there's some weird ping spikes on upload packets, unless set to unlimited. This is more noticeable the lower you set the limiter, not really noticeable with my current connection (FFTH 120mbps upload), but it's still doing something strange to the packets, even when there is no load at all in the connection.
Also had some strange issues in Apex Legends, sometimes failed to connect to match, rare but still. Disabled cake, no more issues.
Asus adaptive qos works well enough, it's not good, but it's enough if you have a good connection.

I also remember testing FlexQOS, the fq_codel implementation didn't not work at all from my testing, actually made things worse. Also had an issue once and had to disable connectrack setting to fix it. Soo back to stock adaptiveqos.

Scripts for this router always gave me issues. Soo not using anything anymore. Even Diversion screws with dnsmasq sometimes, can take 1-2months, happened a few times and even lost a comp game to it once.

Last edited: