What's new

CallStranger Data Exfiltration via UPnP SUBSCRIBE Callback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paliv

Stop us if you’ve heard this before but a researcher has uncovered a new security vulnerability affecting many devices running the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) protocol.

Named CallStranger by discoverer Yunus Çadırcı, the potential for trouble with this flaw looks significant for a whole menu of reasons, starting with the gotcha that it’s UPnP.

UPnP was invented back in the mists of time to graft the idea of plug-and-play onto the knotty world of home networking.

UPnP meant users didn’t have to know how to configure router ports – if the device and the home router supported UPnP (often turned on by default), connectivity happened automagically.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/06/10/billions-of-devices-affected-by-upnp-vulnerability/

Last edited:
Sorry I broke the link when I first posted this, it has been corrected.

What I’m unclear on is if the clients are vulnerable if the router is running miniUPnP. I clearly don’t have a good enough understanding of this.

Last edited:
Recommendation from security experts is still to disable UPNP. It is a matter of security over convenience.

Attachments

• SN-770-CallStranger.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 158
What I’m unclear on is if the clients are vulnerable if the router is running miniUPnP. I clearly don’t have a good enough understanding of this.

Steve Gibson talked about this issue in his podcast "Security Now" episode #770
He actually gave a historical perspective on the beginnings of these UPnP vulnerabilit(ies). (Intel never intended a "Sample" code to be baked into OEM chipsets)

at 40:15 into the episode