What's new

Can a GT-AC5300 support asuswrt-merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

harry555

Occasional Visitor
Just bought GT-AC5300 on advice that by installing asuswrt firmware I could configure it as a VPN router by creating a NordVPN VPN Client connection like I have on my RT-AC87U which works perfectly.

Tried loads of different versions and every time I try to upload I get "Invalid Firmware Upload", so does the router actually support merlin? - if so, has Asus stopped it in some way and is there a workaround? if not it's back to Amazon!

thanks in advance

No. Merlin doesn't make a firmware that is compatible with any of the GT- models.

You can always look here;

thanks for the speedy replies guys, looks like I can't (and will never be able to) setup the VPN Client I want so back in the box it goes

thanks for your help

hhhhhhmmmmm now I am confused, added a Server via VPN | VPN Fusion from imported NordVPN openvpn file, activated it and set as default.

All WIFI traffic now seems to be going through that VPN connection and looks exactly the same as my VPN Client setup on RT-AC87U - am I being thick or is this what I was trying to achieve, am I missing something?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!