What's new

can a single ax6600 do 160 in uk?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks more like "local regulations are the limiting factor". This chart is more useful for non-US locations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/n/ac/ax)

According to that, the UK hasn't opened channel 177 for wifi, so there is not 160MHz available above channel 149. That means your options for 160MHz are either channel 50 or channel 114, both of which overlap DFS spectrum. What that means, if you don't know about DFS, is that it might work okay if you're nowhere near an airport or weather radar station.

I'd suggest choosing a control channel in 36-48 and setting the router to variable channel width (20/40/80/160). With luck, that will cause it to fall back to 80MHz when it detects a radar pulse, rather than shutting down entirely, which is what it's likely to do if the control channel is DFS.
Hi, I can only select channels:
100, 104, 108, 112,116, 120 ,124, 128, 132, 136, 140

please advise which channel would provide 160mhz because i thought i had it but alas from feedback above on the router log i posted,... maybe not.

Try 100. If you're lucky enough to be away from weather radar you could also try 124.

please advise which channel would provide 160mhz because i thought i had it but alas from feedback above on the router log i posted,... maybe not.
You already had 160MHz working. The post you quoted is confusing because it's talking about a "centre" channel which is not how Asus routers represent Wi-Fi channels. Asus routers ask you to specify a "primary" 20MHz channel and from that it knows what other channels it needs to use to make up the 160MHz bandwidth.

So you previously had your primary channel set at 100 which will give you 80MHz bandwidth from channel 100 to 112. If you then connect a 160MHz-capable client to the router it will automatically expand the channels used to 100 to 128 (160MHz) assuming there's no interference on those additional channels.

i have. no idea what is going on and i am merely providing the information reported by bothnthe router and clients.i , like you, am confused but unlike you i do not understand how wifi bands and channels and f20 40 80 160 works, clueless but id like to understand.

So, i had two isses resolved today which seems to have improved matters but why i dont know. i haven't changed anything else.

first, my tp link w9770 was acting as a modem router and providing another dhcp,nat, routing. the modem part was also wrong as it was acting with MER option and login credentials. i reset the box and configured it as a dumb bridge with no login. i left that for the router in option 61. this misconfig might explain why my traffic was slow and my router wan ip often oscillated between an isp WAN IP and 192.168.1.1. .. yes i know.

second, i also disabled 5ghz wireless on other access point nearby used solely for my solar panel hub. it connects to a 2.4ghz band on the router so pointless enabling the 5ghz radio. so i didnt.

Finally I reset the router and reconfigured leaving everyhting as default except ...
- band separation (into 3)
- wireless ssids and passwords
- control channel for 5ghz-2 which i set at 24.
- used the backhaul as a 5ghz front haul third band 160mhz.

rebooted

 voila
my samsung s23ultra reports 2.2gbps connection
my laptop reports 160mhz connection 2.2gbps
my router logs show chanspec 160mhz on ch 24.
AND
the wifi used to take upto 5+ mins to come up. now it is maybe 30secs.

why , i have no ideas. please don't shoot me down, I'm only teporting in posts on this thread.. what i see.

if anyone would care to explain what the heck ia going on id be most grateful.

Last edited:
Try 100. If you're lucky enough to be away from weather radar you could also try 124.
Thank you Sir. Until your response i was struggling; Not sure if this control ch 124 you proposed was the utopian fix or whether the other actions (reset, reconfig of router, modem correction) resolved things but all is fine now. Bee on 160Mhz all night and through till now so doesn't seem to be receiving radar pings and closing down.

(ps. what is special about 124 - why would no other channel work? - such as 100 as previously suggested by another member)

THANK YOU

Nothing special about it. It does get overlooked though as it's right in the middle of weather radar. @ColinTaylor uses channel 124 as well - never a problem. You'd have known by now if you were affected by the radar.

Nothing special about it. It does get overlooked though as it's right in the middle of weather radar. @ColinTaylor uses channel 124 as well - never a problem. You'd have known by now if you were affected by the radar.
a i see.

well thanks anyway.

some log outputs from the router...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017_185837_Samsung Internet.png
    Screenshot_20231017_185837_Samsung Internet.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 28

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!