What's new

can a single ax6600 do 160 in uk?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrHoneyBear

Occasional Visitor
Yea, so as per subject

can the asus ax6600 do 160mhz in the uk on its own with no other nodes?
I'm new to all this wifi6..wifi5 i understood , eventually ha.

i have laptops with intel wifi 6 160mhz cards. need to know if this ax6600 will give 160mhz in uk.

I. have to confess to not understanding how channels and control works, no idea what backhaul n fronthaul means...

be gentle PLEASE...IM.56 !!!

just need an answer in princ please, otherwise I'll get another router.

tia

If that router can do 160 otherwise, but not where you are, no other legitimate wireless router will either.

Wikipedia likely has the information you need re what's allowable in your locale.

You're youthful.

Yea, so as per subject

can the asus ax6600 do 160mhz in the uk on its own with no other nodes?
I'm new to all this wifi6..wifi5 i understood , eventually ha.

i have laptops with intel wifi 6 160mhz cards. need to know if this ax6600 will give 160mhz in uk.

I. have to confess to not understanding how channels and control works, no idea what backhaul n fronthaul means...

be gentle PLEASE...IM.56 !!!

just need an answer in princ please, otherwise I'll get another router.

tia
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlicensed_National_Information_Infrastructure
The chart lists up to 80 MHz but the router may be the limiting factor. From the Asus specs the XT8 looks like it will do 160 MHz.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlicensed_National_Information_Infrastructure
The chart lists up to 80 MHz but the router may be the limiting factor. From the Asus specs the XT8 looks like it will do 160 MHz.
Looks more like "local regulations are the limiting factor". This chart is more useful for non-US locations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/n/ac/ax)

According to that, the UK hasn't opened channel 177 for wifi, so there is not 160MHz available above channel 149. That means your options for 160MHz are either channel 50 or channel 114, both of which overlap DFS spectrum. What that means, if you don't know about DFS, is that it might work okay if you're nowhere near an airport or weather radar station.

I'd suggest choosing a control channel in 36-48 and setting the router to variable channel width (20/40/80/160). With luck, that will cause it to fall back to 80MHz when it detects a radar pulse, rather than shutting down entirely, which is what it's likely to do if the control channel is DFS.

Looks more like "local regulations are the limiting factor". This chart is more useful for non-US locations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/n/ac/ax)

According to that, the UK hasn't opened channel 177 for wifi, so there is not 160MHz available above channel 149. That means your options for 160MHz are either channel 50 or channel 114, both of which overlap DFS spectrum. What that means, if you don't know about DFS, is that it might work okay if you're nowhere near an airport or weather radar station.

I'd suggest choosing a control channel in 36-48 and setting the router to variable channel width (20/40/80/160). With luck, that will cause it to fall back to 80MHz when it detects a radar pulse, rather than shutting down entirely, which is what it's likely to do if the control channel is DFS.
absolutely 101% brilliant response and exactly why i came here for help, to elicit a summary of the facts from summertime who knows the subject matter. excellent and thank you.

I'd suggest choosing a control channel in 36-48 and setting the router to variable channel width (20/40/80/160).
OP didn't say "XT8" specifically. I have XT8s and suspected that was the reference, but unsure.

The 160-cable [edit: "-capable"] radio won't do channels 36-48 and the radio which does won't do 160 (DFS)..

In my locale the XT8s work very well, sad to say.

Sounds like XT9 would be more appropriate for OP. XT9 does DFS on radio 5-1, for 160 MHz channel bonding.

Last edited:
It will do 160 here in the uk. But I have to ask the op, is there a need for greater than 80MHz channels or is it just a case of 'it could do it should'? What real use case is there for using 160 in your circumstances? Do you have multiple clients that spend all day transferring large amounts of data between themselves or are they just for browsing the Web?

I thought it was boxed off.
but now I read conflicting messages.

it is an asus AX6600 XT8

If it CAN do 160mhz then prey tell how please, what is the config in the router and anything else. I do not want to go down rabbit holes discussing internal traffic so.please , if it can be done then e
please share the knowledge thank you

and

i am.a beginner setting off and learning. i have no idea what is meant by does this channel and that channel and why channels are important, or what bonding is other than what i do down the local or playing golf. i would appreciate replies with explanations if you would grace me with such. yes ive read the internet and articles, so thats why im here...mynhead is spinning

I've been living in luxury for too long now. I forgot about the weather radar, but if the op is well away from a station 100/160 or even 124/160 should be possible on 5GHz-2, despite the longer wait for Pre-ISM CAC.

Last edited:
I've been living in luxury for too long now. I forgot about the weather radar, but if the op is well away from a station 100/160 or even 124/160 should be possible on 5GHz-2, despite the longer wait for ISM-CAC.
why?
and how do i configure the router. does anyone actually know?

lots of expert opinions and views from clever folk ,but guys, nothing helping me, come on yeah 🙏

Last edited:
How would you like to use it? One unit serving clients, two units serving clients, and/or two units talking to each other via radio to form a mesh, or can they use a wire to do so??

How would you like to use it? One unit serving clients, two units serving clients, and/or two units talking to each other via radio to form a mesh, or can they use a wire to do so??
You raise a good point. With wireless aimesh the 5GHz-2 is used for the backhaul, leaving just the 5GHz-1 for the user.

i dont newd or want mesh. i have just one ax6600XT8 and want it to act as a normal router pre mesh days.it cost £30 so that's why I'm not giving up...

so

Ok i have it working , to a point.

the router can be configured to use the bh as a fh allowing clients to connect.

i now have devices connected to 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 (normally the bh)

however, none are at 160mhz and 2 of the laptops have intel wifi6 160mhz cards on.

i cant seem.to get the router to allow bandwiths of 20/40/80/160 only 20/40/80 ... on 5ghz-2

anyone got a ax6600XT8 and knows hownto do this?

for info...
if i set 5ghz-2 as the bh only [as opposed to bh and fh] then the 160mhz appears and can be selected but then no clients can connect to it.
??

Okay. 1 unit would largely suffice for my dwelling which is maybe 1600 sf with full basement. Just not as "fun" to use at times (traffic between any/all clients) with only one radio set. Though the XT8 is a capable unit, and with 2 5GHz radios, one of them /quite/ capable, a lot can be done.

As I "notioned" earlier, if your locale doesn't harbor use of some features, it's a pity for you, but no other legit router will enable them either. Neither will your Intel wifi cards for that matter.

Get yourself set up with two 80MHz-wide 5G channels, plus whatever you can muster on 2.4GHz and enjoy what you can.

Once you've spent sufficient time at wikipedia browsing the articles pertaining to wifi and channel assignments/usage, if you still have questions, make them more specific. You'll get (and others will be able to offer) good help here.

i cant seem.to get the router to allow bandwiths of 20/40/80/160 only 20/40/80 ... on 5ghz-2

anyone got a ax6600XT8 and knows hownto do this?

I'm afraid you're somewhat out of luck under UK regs. As I'd forgotten, but @glens reminds us, the XT8's two 5GHz radios aren't interchangeable. 5GHz-1 is only able to tune to channels 36-48 and won't do 160MHz. 5GHz-2 is able to do 160MHz, but it's limited to the higher channels --- and as I mentioned before, under UK regs you can't have a 160MHz channel in the DFS-free range above channel 149.

I no longer have an XT8 to check, but I think the 5GHz-2 radio is able to tune to the subject-to-DFS channels between 48 and 149, and there is enough space there for a 160MHz channel. If that's correct, you could possibly get 160MHz performance much of the time (whenever you're not getting DFS shutdowns), and expect that clients could fall back to the 5GHz-1 radio if worst comes to worst. If you go for that approach, I'd recommend configuring 5GHz-2 with auto channel selection (and "allow use of DFS channels" checked, as well as allowing 160MHz). This leaves it to the router to try to find a channel with minimum DFS interference.

That's correct but for the lower range of 5-2. It only goes from channel 100 upward.

Ah, thanks for the data point. But that is enough to cover the 160MHz channel centered at 114, so what I suggested above should work as long as DFS interference isn't too bad. (I'd still recommend using auto channel, so that the router can pick which channel within that band to use as control channel.)

Well, it /seems/ his 160MHz options are "regulatorily" unavailable for whatever reason.

May be misconfiguration, may be a device low-level flashed for a region with no desired-"here" ability (which is why it was available where and for how low-cost it was obtained?).

Much too little information for me to get any deeper with this dilemma.

i have 160 working
got to be closer, like, 10ft from router, and i get 1.6Gbps on my laptop.
local wlan devices can operate at this speed
but of course the upstream adsl is much much slower

Edit
i have no idea what you guys are on about regarding channela,so do you mean the channel selection or the control selection. all mine are on auto.

 and

ease can someone explain the lines i this cryptic output PLEASE

Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 106 80MHz (0xe06a)
Primary channel: 100
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-31
Supported VHT MCS:
NSS1 Tx: 0-11
Rx: 0-11
NSS2 Tx: 0-11
NSS3 Tx: 0-11
NSS4 Tx: 0-11
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
160 Mhz:
Interference Level: Acceptable
AP Only
Mode
"
DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring (ISM) time elapsed 1199850ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 100/80 (0xE06A)
Channel Information
Channel 36
Channe1 40
Channel 44
Channel 48
Channe1 52
Channel 56
Channe1 60
Channe1 64
Channel 100
Channe1 104
Channe1 108
Channel 112
Channel 116
Channe1 120
Channel 124
Channe1 128
Channel 132
Channel 136
Channel 140
A Band
A Band
A Band
A Band
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive
A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

Last edited:
ease can someone explain the lines i this cryptic output PLEASE

Most of this is details you don't need to worry about (because they aren't configurable anyway).

Chanspec: 5GHz channel 106 80MHz (0xe06a)

This bit is interesting though. It says the router is currently offering 80MHz bandwidth centered at channel 106 (hence, using channels 100-115). Which'd be fine except you said you were getting 160MHz, and it doesn't look like that here. I've seen some people say that this display will not show 160MHz unless there is a 160MHz-capable client connected, or maybe even actively demanding that much bandwidth, so this might not be interesting. But if refreshing it still shows 80MHz even when your allegedly faster client is active, then maybe there is something to check into.

Primary channel: 100

This is also called the control channel. 100 is fine given that you are opting to work in the middle, DFS-aware band.

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring (ISM) time elapsed 1199850ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 100/80 (0xE06A)

This is the other bit worth paying attention to. AFAIK this particular readout means that the router hasn't seen a radar pulse in long enough that it is allowed to use the DFS spectrum. So you should be getting 160MHz if you want it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!