What's new

Can Asuswrt-Merlin remap a LAN port to function as a WAN port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SprkFade

New Around Here
I'm currently using TomatoUSB on my RT-N16 router because my WAN port is dead and I needed to remap the one of the LAN ports to a WAN port.

Is this something that's possible with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware? I'd like to switch firmwares since I'm unable to get the correct speeds with Tomato.

Any information or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You could enable Dual WAN, which allows using a LAN port as a secondary WAN interface.

You could enable Dual WAN, which allows using a LAN port as a secondary WAN interface.

Awesome, I'll try that. One more question since you're here. Am I correct to assume that the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware will have better routing performance than Tomato since it supports hardware acceleration instead of doing everything with software?

The main reason I'm trying to get Asuswrt-Merlin working is that I recently upgraded my internet to 150/10 and I'm unable to get the full 150 download with Tomato. I enabled FastNAT, and that did increase the speeds a little, but I don't think this router combined with Tomato has enough performance so I was hoping that the hardware acceleration would help with that.

Awesome, I'll try that. One more question since you're here. Am I correct to assume that the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware will have better routing performance than Tomato since it supports hardware acceleration instead of doing everything with software?

The main reason I'm trying to get Asuswrt-Merlin working is that I recently upgraded my internet to 150/10 and I'm unable to get the full 150 download with Tomato. I enabled FastNAT, and that did increase the speeds a little, but I don't think this router combined with Tomato has enough performance so I was hoping that the hardware acceleration would help with that.

As long you don't enable any feature that's incompatible with NAT acceleration, that's correct. You should be able to hit around 800-900 Mbps.

940 mbits/s from lan to wan with my 1000 mbit fibre connection with nat acceleration on my n66u, so yeah if it is enabled it will perform.

I can hit around the same 960 Mbps on speedtest.net. Even with a layer two switch hooked up directly to my ont I don't hit much more.

There may be some overhead in the connection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!