What's new

Can I access the admin console of an AiMesh Node? (override redirect)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jay613

Occasional Visitor
If I point my browser to the IP address of an AiMesh node I get redirected to the router. Is there a way to NOT get redirected to the router, and log in to the admin GUI of the node?

I can ssh into the nodes but I don't know where to find all the info that is available via the GUI.

No. Not possible.

You may be able to ssh in...

Actually, you can - but use with caution and only (very) temporarily. I found that if I left this setting enabled and/or did an nvram commit, my network would freak out like a STP loop and all traffic would stop responding until I physically disconnected the Ethernet cable from the mesh node - then I would have to remove the offline node from the gateway and do a Hard reset of the node and add it back in.

There are likely other unintended consequences, like mesh settings getting out of sync with the main node.
You have been warned.

ssh to your mesh node
nvram set re_mode=0

you can now access the web UI to poke around - but you wouldn't want to change anything important. The main node keeps a lot of settings in sync, or may EXPECT things are in sync once the node it added. One reason I would do this was to get to the syslog page so I could set a remote server.

do an nvram set re_mode=1 as soon as you are done.

Perhaps another use would be to enable samba on the remote node, but what settings are sticky and which ones are not are really known.

Perhaps another use would be to enable samba on the remote node, but what settings are sticky and which ones are not are really known.

AiMesh 2.0 now permits access to these remote node settings:

1606527100473.png

OE

@CaptnDanLKW I might try that some time .... at a time when I'm willing to suffer the consequences if things go wrong. It's worth it just for the fun of getting to know the nvram settings better. Where did you find out about that one, do you have documentation about them? Thank you.

@OzarkEdge thanks. The thing I know right now that I want to access on the remote nodes is System Log -> Wireless Log where there are detailed stats about devices connected to the Node that are not available from the router or (as far as I can find) from the Node's terminal interface.

@CaptnDanLKW I might try that some time .... at a time when I'm willing to suffer the consequences if things go wrong. It's worth it just for the fun of getting to know the nvram settings better. Where did you find out about that one, do you have documentation about them? Thank you.

Stumbled across it in one of the posts in these forums.

You can also access some of the node settings through the Asus Router mobile app. Here are the steps to get there:

1) Set your would-be node as an Access Point
2) On your main router specify a static IP address for that AP
3) Find the AP in the Asus Router app and add it there
4) Reset the AP and add it as an AiMesh node - it will retain the original static IP of your AP

And interestingly enough, the node should still be visible in the Asus app and you will have access to some settings there. Pretty much to as many, as if the node was set as a repeater.

EDIT: And you can certainly access AMTM on a node running Merlin - for example, to define the led control schedule.

Last edited: