What's new

Can I connect AC RT88U Directly to the phone line (bypass telco GPON modem/router)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saqr42

Occasional Visitor
As in title !

Is this setup possible or better than my current setup in which I connect Asus router into the telco GPON modem router which connect to the phone line.
:rolleyes:

Yes. Tongue slip ;)
If this is the case of no direct connection, are there any other Asus modem routers that can connect directly to the telco line outlet ?

I'm not aware of any that have a fibre (GPON) WAN connection. There are the DSL- models but they only support ADSL/VDSL as far as I know. But check out the Asus website for your own country because they offer different products in different regions.

Can I ask what you are trying to accomplish? Just trying to loose the ISP router (getting rid of a NAT)?

Exactly. I want to ditch the telco’s GPON modem router.

Last edited:
Seems like a great idea ! I think I need to figure out now what is the technical specs of my fiber to know if it works with this media converter or not. I mean if it is Single mode or multimode, besides other specs that might arise !

Presumable it's not just a case of converting the type of media type? Presumably he'd still need a modem of some sort?

Yes, some additional research will be needed into the ISP requirements.

I have used a media converter on Bell's Fibe to replace there HUB 3000 Fibre router. With them, it is important to use Bell's SFP connector as it is coded with the authentication codes needed for Bell's network and the ASUS Router has to be set up to tag the WAN with VLAN 36 (I think - might be 35 - haveto check my notes again). Works great, but research is needed for the specific ISP to see if it is doable.

Start with the basic and just ask if you can forego their Router and use a media converter. If you are talking to a tech person at the ISP, they should be able to tell you if possible and what requirement your router will have to have. For ASUS, the VLAN tagging (for my example) was in the IPTV tab under WAN setting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!