What's new

Can I do VLAN? Pfsense and Asus AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ali.

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I have recently setup a pfsense appliance and put my Asus Router in a AP mode with AI mesh enabled with two remote nodes. Is there a way I can implement VLANs to segregate devices on different AImesh nodes.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I have recently setup a pfsense appliance and put my Asus Router in a AP mode with AI mesh enabled with two remote nodes. Is there a way I can implement VLANs to segregate devices on different AImesh nodes.

Thanks in advance.

Yes requires merlin and scripts, do a search, discussed many times. The script will depend on which router you have, there are two different main types which use different commands.

If you router supports freshtomato you can use that and configure vlans through the GUI, however I believe you'll lose Aimesh ability, which isn't a huge deal.

Yes requires merlin and scripts, do a search, discussed many times. The script will depend on which router you have, there are two different main types which use different commands.

If you router supports freshtomato you can use that and configure vlans through the GUI, however I believe you'll lose Aimesh ability, which isn't a huge deal.
Merlin is already there, which scripts are we talking about?
Here is my setup:

Pfsense appliance ---> Asus ROG GTX-11000 in AP mode ---> Asus AX86U & AX68U as remote nodes.

Merlin is already there, which scripts are we talking about?
Here is my setup:

Pfsense appliance ---> Asus ROG GTX-11000 in AP mode ---> Asus AX86U & AX68U as remote nodes.

When the main node is in router mode and Guest Wireless 1 is enabled it will create VLANs 501 and 502 (and 503 if you have a tri-band router). I'm not sure if it does this when using AP for the main node but I suspect it may.

Enable GW1, both 2.4 and 5Ghz (assuming you want both), reboot all 3, then post the output of "brctl show" on all 3 devices. That will give a good idea of what needs to be done. You might get lucky and you need to do nothing other than configuring 501 and 502 tagged on the PFSense port.