What's new

Can I install Merlin remotely?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Authority

I have an RT-AC68 at my moms. It's up to date on stock firmware and I always do the updates remotely without a hitch so I was wondering if Asuswrt-Merlin would be any different?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r..._2-are-now-available.60585/page-6#post-532777

As long as your mom can reboot the router for you (if needed), you should be fine. :)

I am not sure that it will be fine. After flashing Merlin over stock FW and factory reset the default configuration will be with disabled WAN access, and any existing VPN servers will not survive also. So some local action will be required to bootstrap remote access again.

Your statement is valid solely for ordinary updates of already installed Merlin.

Last edited:
If you were running a recent merlin then I would say probably ok.. but since you are going from stock Asus firmware to merlin then you need to reset with defaults.. so it would lose connectivity. So with that in mind do you have a second way to get onto her network? This will disable the router until you reconfig it.
A better question is what would happen if something goes wrong? Would you be totally leaving her with no internet and for how long? If she is using VOIP for phone, IMHO not even remotely worth the risk.

My apologies, everyone is correct above. I missed that the op will be going from stock to RMerlin firmware. :(

Sorry!

Not if I can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to summarize: If you want to switch from stock to Merlin you shall have at least one visit (hopefully only one) to mom. After that all future stuff can be done remotely :)

Just to summarize: If you want to switch from stock to Merlin you shall have at least one visit (hopefully only one) to mom. After that all future stuff can be done remotely :)

I will test your theory and let you know.

Not if I can avoid it.

I see way to do it but if it goes wrong you’ll leave mom without internet and need to pay her a visit for sure.

So you need a way to maintain remote access even after the router is wiped and the openVPN servers go down. This could be done by physically connecting moms computer to the router via Ethernet then remote accessing with TeamViewer.

The router needs a hard reboot after the flash, so you need someone present to do that for you. From there internet should restore and you could resume remote access by TeamViewer to finish configuration.

Does mom have the technical ability?

I see way to do it but if it goes wrong you’ll leave mom without internet and need to pay her a visit for sure.

So you need a way to maintain remote access even after the router is wiped and the openVPN servers go down. This could be done by physically connecting moms computer to the router via Ethernet then remote accessing with TeamViewer.

The router needs a hard reboot after the flash, so you need someone present to do that for you. From there internet should restore and you could resume remote access by TeamViewer to finish configuration.

Does mom have the technical ability?

I’m just going to do it. If it doesn’t work I’ll ask her to reboot. If that doesn’t work I’ll head over. [emoji2369]

I haven't had a chance to do it yet but I took a TM-1900 I had stock Asus on and installed Merlin on it today with zero touch... essentially the same thing stock to Merlin so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

LOL yes, I am aware that the TM-1900 is "not supported" for whatever that means. However, it works great, and more important to my post I updated it from stock Asus (I had already gone through the unsupported unlocking of it) to Merlin Asus without having to physically touch it, which was the question I posed in my original post.

But of course, I am aware the TM-AC-1900 is "NOT SUPPORTED" <wink wink nudge nudge>.

LOL yes, I am aware that the TM-1900 is "not supported" for whatever that means. However, it works great, and more important to my post I updated it from stock Asus (I had already gone through the unsupported unlocking of it) to Merlin Asus without having to physically touch it, which was the question I posed in my original post.

But of course, I am aware the TM-AC-1900 is "NOT SUPPORTED" <wink wink nudge nudge>.

Forum contributors devote their valuable personal time to helping others. It gets wasted when trying to help troubleshoot issues that are unsolvable due to incompatibility. Disregarding the message that it’s unsupported does annoy forum members. Everyone should make sure to only ask for support for supported models.

Status
Not open for further replies.